Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shell Dweller Tankmates?

Default Shell Dweller Tankmates?

I have a nice colony of Shell Dwelling Ocelatus Neolamproglus (sp), I think...I have around a dozen fish in there.

Recently I have gotten bored with the Shell Dwellers as they really are only interested in food, and I they haven't really been fighting much for territory.

I was hoping to spice things up by adding some other tankmates, maybe crabs? Maybe other bigger fish?

I don't want the shell dwellers killed, but I want to give them something to do.

The tank is fairly developed, nice alge layer on the shells (I have about 30 shells for 12 fish), the fish seem very happy.

Just wish I could fix my light cheap...

What size tank?

20long

Pretty limited space, but I have heard of a few folks keeping neon tetras with shelllies. Endler's livebearers would also be workable.

Are tetras really natural with Shellies? I thought they were South American?

Endlers Livebearers? As in guppies? Explain that one.

Guy at the shop said Dafodils, but they are a bit pricey.

What do you guys think of Cyps as tankmates for shelldwellers? They seem like a good candidate because they take up the upper portions of the tank and are tanganikyan themselves, but my concern would be that they would make it tough for the shellies to get food. Any experience with this combo?
    Never go out with a loaded pistol!

Originally posted by PHeller
    20long
    IMHO, your 20 long is already over stocked with 12 ocellatus.

Originally posted by MidNightCowBoy
    What do you guys think of Cyps as tankmates for shelldwellers? They seem like a good candidate because they take up the upper portions of the tank and are tanganikyan themselves, but my concern would be that they would make it tough for the shellies to get food. Any experience with this combo?
    I have kept non-jumbo Cyprichromis in a 55 gallon with shell dwellers - they do fine. Cyps should not be kept in a tank smaller than that.

aharris is offline Just when you thought it was
    safe to change the water . . . MOD!

Cyps need swimming space and the 20l doesn't provide that as Finz already pointed out.

I'm afraid if you want something natural in there, you will need a larger tank first. Even a daffodil will be cramped with 12 shellies in a 20l (ideally you'd only have 3 or 4 in there).

If you really must have something in there, dwarf praecox rainbows, more robust tetras, or a livebearer like Endler's or Some other small livebearer (regular mollies, not sailfin) will be it.
    "I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, Mythbuster

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

how about killifish? They seem like a decent candidate. Any experience with these guys?
    Never go out with a loaded pistol!

I think you want something which will enjoy the same water and be a mid or upper water dweller. There is a Tang killie fish that fits the bill but you may have probs getting hold of it.
    http://www.cichlidae.info/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=976
    Cyps would need much more room Paracyps if you have rocks might work eg neon blues but thats pushing it and may be pushing it a bit far.
    Otherwise use say pearl danios, zebra danios which do well in your hard high pH water.
    You do have hard high pH water don't you?

What about Filter feeding shrimp?
    Or- A smaller Syno. spp.(UD cats would work), Peacock or Zigzag eel, POSSIBLY African butterfly fish?
    Cry later, but for now let's enjoi the laughter-
    Tupac Amaru Shakur

I keep zebra danios with my shellies. These are hardy, always active and live right at the surface so there is little interaction between them and the shellies.
    ~Lilith
    Neolamprologus tetracanthus,
    Heros severus,
    Archocentrus nigrofasciatus, Altolamprologus Compressicep (dwarf sumbu) among others

I thought about danios for my 20 long multi colony but I have noticed that now that there are, like, a gazillion of them they do this thing where they swim up towards the surface and down again. they do it en masse almost like schooling. Okay... mabye not a gacillion but there are at LEAST 20 to 25 fish of varying sizes in the tank and the bottom is lined with shells. at least 3 for every fish there.

I plan on trying L. Meleagris or Stappersii in a 20L with Alto. Comressiceps "Sumbu Drawf". On a side note, hey all i'm new here.
    Tanganyikan
    60 gallon
    20 gallon long