Thread: different cycling attempt

Default different cycling attempt

Okay, so I holding female and I decided to set up a second tank for her to live in until she spits out the babies. She's a demasoni. I set up the tank with arganite substrate and a couple rocks (its only a 10 gallon).

Well i haven't put her in the tank yet, but I figured to 'seed' the tank for the good bacteria I took about 5 gallons of water from my other tank (that she is in right now) and put those 5 gallons along with 5 gallons of clean water.

So *immediately* the water became totally white cloudy almost opaque. I figured that it was sediment so I waited overnight for it to go away. It did not. I then emptied the tanks water and rinsed the sand thoughrally to remove any fine dust. At this point the water was clear again.

I set up the tank again, same procedure with water from the other tank 50%. Cloudy again. Figured that it might be the 'bacteria bloom' that people talk about with new tanks cycling so i cranked the heat and turned the aeration to max (so if there are bacteria it would speed their lifecycle and make them breed themselves to death) Waited a day to see what would happen. No change.

Changed out half the water at that point which seemed to cause the cloudyness to diminish by a corrosponding 50% (approximatly).

What should I do? I don't want to put the holding female in a tank that may be hazardous. But I have to reiterate, there are no fish in this tank, just arganite 'reef' sand and 50/50 water with a heater and an airstone.

So could this be a 'bacteria bloom'? If it is, how long do they take to subside? Might it be some sort of reaction with the sand substrate?

Any help greatly appreciated!

Ben

Well the water itself has very little beneficial bacteria in it. It is far better to move a few rock, or some filter material from the main tank. Also, just to keep from shocking her, why not 100% water from the main tank... usually just after a waterchange is a good time.
    "Cichlids aren't aggressive, they are territorial. Aggression is a response to inadequate territory for their breeding and feeding needs."

"A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!"

My Tanks

I agree with the Rusty feller. I wouldn't put any substrate in the holding/grow out tank. Keep it clear bottomed, easier to keep track of the fry. Put a media bag of substrate from the main tank and a sponge filter and you should be good.
    =========
    Been out of sight and out of (my) mind for a while. Thinking of getting another tank or 4 and rebuilding the fish room.
    =========
    check out my webpage, not fish related but a great way to kill some time! www.buenojoe.com

Originally posted by Steve C
    Put a media bag of substrate from the main tank and a sponge filter and you should be good.
    Yes if it is gravel, NO if you have sand.
    "Cichlids aren't aggressive, they are territorial. Aggression is a response to inadequate territory for their breeding and feeding needs."

"A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!"

My Tanks

Well i put some of the filter medium from the main tank into the new tank and also replaced 30% more water with main tank water. The cloudiness remains but I'm starting to think it's just dust from the arganite sand that i used as substrate. Do you think i could put her in the tank now or should I keep waiting? She's not very happy in the breeding net i put her into to keep her from the males.