Thread: Powerheads clogging

Default Powerheads clogging

I have noticed for a while that whenever I clean the fish tank and turn off the powerheads. I have a hard time getting them to start back up again. I have to take them out and either fiddle with them to 'unstick" them or clean them out. Has anyone else had this problem and how do I lessen the frequency?

What kind are they? Do you have sponge filters on them? I know you said you turn them off but are you doing so before the water level drops or after?

The only time I have that problem is when I let the water level drop and don't bother unplugging it. It's a powersweep (el cheapo) so I don't really worry about it.
    =========
    Been out of sight and out of (my) mind for a while. Thinking of getting another tank or 4 and rebuilding the fish room.
    =========
    check out my webpage, not fish related but a great way to kill some time! www.buenojoe.com

they are aquaclear. one is a 50, one a 30 and one is a Powerhead 301

Ahh, bummer. I have no experience with AC powerheads. Im not sure if that is typical of that brand or not. There are alot of AC users on the forum though that will probably chime in with info.

I think those come apart pretty easy. It probably wouldn't be to hard to pull the intake off and rinse the impeller.
    =========
    Been out of sight and out of (my) mind for a while. Thinking of getting another tank or 4 and rebuilding the fish room.
    =========
    check out my webpage, not fish related but a great way to kill some time! www.buenojoe.com

I have a couple of marineland powerheads that I usually have to pull the strainers to jump start it after they have been off for a water change. They have always done that since new.

Its just incredibly anoying th have to pull the powerheads every time I do a water change