Thread: My Filter.....wont filter

Default My Filter.....wont filter

I'm still new 2 the cichlid world, but I read alot and I'm trying to do what I can to educate myself. I have a RENA FILSTAR XP3 that I recently cleaned and now it wont even filter. I have tried to prime it and everything. Like I siad I'm new so maybe it's pretty simple, which I think it is because I started the tank about 6 months ago and bought the filter new. Thanks

I'm sorry, I don't have any experience with the XP3, but it sounds like you're not getting it primed. Maybe someone else with an XP3 can chime in here and help. The only suggestion I can make is that you pull out the manual and second check yourself on how to prime it. Good Luck and welcome to the boards!

You shouldn't normally have to prime it after cleaning if you follow the instructions in the manual. If you do find yourself having to prime it (because the water was let out of the hose, for whatever reason) make sure you screw the cap firmly back onto the priming hole before starting it up. Also, did you push the release handle back down and wait a couple of minutes for the unit to fill up before plugging it in again? Note that with these filters you do not re-fill the unit with water yourself after cleaning (unlike older cannister filters) - pushing down the release handle takes care of that (assuming the hoses are still full of water). Another basic question - is the unit positioned below the tank? If it is at or above water level it won't prime itself or be primed manually either. I presume you've checked the hoses to make sure they aren't pinched anywhere?

These may seem like basic dumb questions, but I'm asking them because I am hoping there is nothing wrong with your filter. There really shouldn't be a problem if the XP3 is set up right and you follow the instructions.

One more dumb question to add... When cleaning it did you remove the impeller to clean it? (Did you remember to put it back? )

Sorry about the delay, when I cleaned it...(don't asked me how) there was some kind of rock that wasn't even in my tank stuck in the tube....running like new. Thanks for the help

Good to hear! (Figured it was something you'd catch)