Thread: Bloat

Default Bloat

Hey what are some symptoms of bloat?I have also heard that bloat can casue white waste. White waste doesnt always mean bloat,or does it? My fish doesnt seem to have a damaged swim bladder and is still anixious to eat but has become slightly bulkier in the mid section. Why is this?
    55 gal

2-Firemouth
    1-Albino Oscar
    1-Common Pleco
    4-Blue Mystery Snail

Hard to tell w/out a photo or a better description of the fish.

Problem is that "bloat" isn't really one illness - it's a syndrome, that is a collection of symptoms that can be due to numerous underlying causes. if you wanna get a good discussion started, go post in the Tanganyika forum and as them what causes Tropheus bloat. ;)

White poo can be caused by quite a few things, bloat being just one of them.
    Tiny purple fishes run laughing through your fingers

Ok thanks.Also what is the best way to keep your tank really clean. I just did a cleaning and It is sooo dirty and my filter is already pretty nasty and I replaced it not to long ago....Also how do you keep debris from folating around everywhere when you vacuum the tank.I do regualr cleaning but I can never seem to get it really clean, anyone have soem tricks of the trade?
    55 gal

2-Firemouth
    1-Albino Oscar
    1-Common Pleco
    4-Blue Mystery Snail

I don't have a problem with debris floating around when I vacuum. What technique are you using and what is your substrate?

You say you replaced your filter? You're talking about the filter sponge I presume? You shouldn't replace it, just rinse it well in a bucket with dirty aquarium water when you do your water change, in order to preserve the bacteria colony on it.

Other than that it's basically a question of diligent weekly maintenance (sorry). Of course, not overstocking, not overfeeding, and limiting the hours you leave the lights on helps...

What is the best way/techniuqe to use while vacuming and im talking about the filter insert.It is filthy.so i shouldnt replace it? I have crushed coral and a little puka shell
    55 gal

2-Firemouth
    1-Albino Oscar
    1-Common Pleco
    4-Blue Mystery Snail

Sounds like your substrate is fine enough that the waste should mainly be sitting on top of it, in which case you can just wave your gravel vac slightly above the substrate to stir up the poop & debris without churning the substrate. Be patient and do it carefully, maybe focussing on one half of the tank per water change. Every couple of months it's a good idea to actually churn the substrate though.

As for the filter insert, what kind/model of filter are we talking about? I know of one or two types where you need to change the inserts regulary because of the design (a filter pad and activated charcoal compartment all in one), but on most popular filters (cannister or HOB) the sponge can (and should) be re-used, almost indefinitely - just rinse it in dirty aquarium water to 'clean' it without killing off the all important nitrifying/de-nitrying bacteria colonies.

I have a Marineland 200 bio-wheel filter. So the charcoal is part of the insert.There is another slot behind the filter insert, what can I put into that slot? it looks like this [] :: * the box is the filter insert and the dotted box is the xtra slot. the astric is where the water re-enters the tank. What is this slot for?.
    55 gal

2-Firemouth
    1-Albino Oscar
    1-Common Pleco
    4-Blue Mystery Snail

Ok, scrap what I said about re-using then. You've got the disposable kind. On the extra slot, I'll quote from Marineland's website:

"Extra Media Slots (Penguin 200 and 350)
    For an additional Rite-Size Filter Cartridge or Penguin Refillable Media Cartridge for enhanced chemical filtration."

There are also other cartridges that are made by other manufacturers too... Some people wad up filter flow to put in there, other put bio-media in it.....
    "Cichlids aren't aggressive, they are territorial. Aggression is a response to inadequate territory for their breeding and feeding needs."

"A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!"

My Tanks

Personally, I'd swap the Marineland for an Aquaclear 70 (formerly AC 300, pumps 300 GPH). Forget the carbon, use 2 sponge blocks. The sponge blocks last for years, just rinse 'em in a bucket of tank water when you do your weekly partial water changes. That way, you don't throw away your beneficial bacteria with the dirty cartridge (or your money buying new ones). The two sponge blocks will provide MUCH more surface area than the biowheel.

How much is one of the AC 300 and That is a non biowheel filter correct?I may get one but the biowheel holds some of that bacterial correct? and filters arent that expensive.Regardless I may stop by my lfs and check one out.thanks for the input
    55 gal

2-Firemouth
    1-Albino Oscar
    1-Common Pleco
    4-Blue Mystery Snail

If you switch filters, run both for several weeks to allow the new one to become established with bateria before removing the old one. The biowheel is necessary on the filter with disposable cartridges, but overall not as good as a couple of permanent sponges for surface area. The Ac 70/300 will also pump a lot more water, which is better for the fish.

Ok thank you, quick question...My male Kenyi has increased in size very quickly all the sudden..out of nowhere.What could have caused this?Any ideas?Or is this normal?
    55 gal

2-Firemouth
    1-Albino Oscar
    1-Common Pleco
    4-Blue Mystery Snail