Thread: Bringing out color in peacocks

Default Bringing out color in peacocks

I have a male (I think, we'll get to that) red peacock that I've had for about three months. He's approximately 3 inches long, and seems to be the dominant fish in the tank, but he hasn't colored up. I have another male peacock from a different store that is smaller than him (2 inches), but had color when I bought him. I was told this was unusual and I believed it because none of the other peacocks of his size had color. I should admit the second peacock is an OB peacock, but at the time I bought him I didn't know that wasn't a legitimate species, so please don't lecture me about it.

The red peacock was sold to me as a male, and I believe it because not only is he the most dominant fish in the tank (not overly aggressive, though), he also doesn't look like the female red peacocks I've seen. He looks a lot darker, more of a black/brown, and you can kind of tell where he would have blue vs. red, if he'd color up. I'm feeding NLS, which he eats happily. He's a very healthy fish, I keep up with my water changes, and all the water chemistry is good. I have heard that it can take up to 18 months for them to color up, he was a juvenile when I bought him so I know he's not that old yet, but elsewhere I've read that he should be getting color by now. So, here's my question. Do you think that he is really a she, or do peacocks need the presence of females in order to get their colors? I'm not specifically interested in breeding them at the moment, as I was looking more for a display tank. I was told that it was possible to have an all male peacock display tank. Is this correct, or do I need to get some females? I know that if I do, I need to get rid of the OB peacock so that he doesn't breed with them. Or does my red peacock just need time/live food/something else? Any advice would be appreciated.

hi.welcome to the forum.

-about your 2" peacock.try to know that where it comes from...it seems that it's a hormoned fish.many of [almost all or actually all,who knows?]fishes that are exporting from fareast breeders are unfotunately hormoned.they're doing this to bring their colors up for better selling.you buy a beautiful fish but after a while it changes to another fish!
    please note that this doesn't mean that only fareast exported fishes are hormoned,no it can happen every where.that damn hormone is accessible any where and unresponsible breeders are widespread in all over ther world.

-about 3" one...try to feed it with spirilina contained foods ,red shrimp/artemia ,and boiled spinach/lettuce mixed with it's food[personally i mixe them with beaf heart]

please note that it's possible that you have bought a female fish because a male hasn't darkbrown color the females have it,send a picture of it,if you can.
    goodluck.
    yours sincerely,parham

The store I got the OB peacock from said they came from a local breeder. They had twice as many OBs as any other kind of peacock. I'd still think the hormones were a possibility, except that every time I've been there, they've had a bunch of juvie OB peacocks, and none of them have exhibited the colors of the one I bought. So hopefully, he's just a naturally colorful fish.

I took some pictures of my 3" peacock. The pics weren't that great, but here's the best one. When I bought this fish, none of the other fish in the tank had colors either. Is there a way to tell male from female when they're that young, or do you just have to buy several and wait to see?
    Attached Images Attached Images

looks female to me....
    Malawi Cichlids...check
    Tanganyikan Cichlids...check
    Central American Cichlids...check
    South American Cichlids...check
    Asian Cichlids...check
    Victorian????

i'mnot quite sure..because coloration say it's female and shape says that don't notice to it i'm a male!
    yours sincerely,parham

As to the 2 incher. If you have ever had peacock fry you'd see that at least one male colors early. Just ask RustyNut about the beautiful male peacock I sent him. That guy was maybe over 2" and had lots of color. His sibs weren't showing anywhere near the color but I can still pick out potiential males based on seeing some color early. It's actually much harder to pick out females as they could be sub-dom males that won't color up until the dom male is gone. Once I removed the dom male from the group of fry/juvies, now other males are coloring up that wouldn't with the dom male around. It's just how peacocks are. IF you find a whole tank full of colorful male peacocks at 2" THEN suspect hormones.

As for the 3" peacock. It's possible he's male but not dominate enough to show his color yet. The dorsal stripe seems to exist in females but they get it at an older age. Signs I look for in my lemon jakes include the dorsal stripe, fin color changes, and yellow hood (since they have yellow) long before the blue begins to show up in the face. Hopefully that helps you out.
    SabrinaD
    75 gallon
    C. Afra "cobue", Labidochromis chisumulae, M. joanjohnsonae,
    65 gallon
    Ps. acei, Ps.cyaneorhabdos, I. spengerae
    46 Bow front
    Ps. saulosi, Labidochromis chisumulae

aharris is offline Just when you thought it was
    safe to change the water . . . MOD!

And sometimes, it takes a female to really bring out the color in a male fish, especially peacocks. If he hasn't got anyone to show off for why bother? From a survival standpoint, it makes no sense.
    "I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, Mythbuster

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

i had one that i thought was a female.it was all brown till it got about 4 inches now he's all yellow.ive had about 7 months.i think females are more silver yours has some color.

I should mention too that my 3" peacock has a metallic blue edging on the front of his pelvic fins, though it doesn't show up well in the picture. Does this make a difference? I'm just wondering if I'd have better luck getting a male or female fish to go along with it.

Metallic blue is a sign of a male. For what ever reason, he's not willing to color up right now. I'm assuming that you mean on his gill cover in front of the pelvic fin. Just give him some time.
    SabrinaD
    75 gallon
    C. Afra "cobue", Labidochromis chisumulae, M. joanjohnsonae,
    65 gallon
    Ps. acei, Ps.cyaneorhabdos, I. spengerae
    46 Bow front
    Ps. saulosi, Labidochromis chisumulae