Thread: filter error possibly?

Default filter error possibly?

i have a lot of carbon, i meant a lot, and yet the onlly way i can keep my water clear is by giant water changes...any ideas

im using a filstar xp3

Try using some filter floss, it'll strain out a lot of stuff that clouds the water.
    Just being for awhile.

my lfs sucks ass, hopefully they got some new stuff in, but should that go up top or in the bottom near the sponges

I've never used a filstar before, but the filter floss should be one of the first media's the water will flow through. You can use hypo-allergenic stuffing material found in any crafts shop. I find it at walmart. It's cheap and it works, you just have to change it regularly.
    Just being for awhile.

What size tank and how long has it been set up?
    Quote Originally Posted by maccichlid View Post
    at least when i smack you, it will be with a prize-worthy koi, not some common carp.

37 gallon 1 month

75 coming in 1 or 2 paychecks

Actually filstars put the sponges first (bottom basket), bio media in the middle basket and floss in the top basket as a rule.
    Obviously the bigger the can, the more baskets, but that's the general sequence.
    If your LFS sux that bad, go to WallyWorld and buy a bag of polyester pillow stuffing (batting). Tear off a chunk to fit in the top basket and polish the water as it leaves the can.
    A bunch cheaper and just as effective as Rena's "Micro Polishing Pads", plus when you do maintainence, just chuck the old stuff in the trash and put in new.
    I have 2 XP2's and still have a bag and a half out of 3 left after a year.
    Oh you better show those babies when you get them... i am looking forward to it.. at least i can look at yours and dream...
    My Fish

yea right now im just running a ton of carpon and one micro polishing pad with the sponges in the bottom, im gonna play around with it

i'm wondering if your tank is still cycling...it's only been set up for 1 month.

I've asked you in other posts, but have you tested your water yet?

not for ammonia i almost bought a test kit, but since the water is clear and all the fish are vibrant and happy im not worried about it, just gonna start the weekly water change

usually a visual check isn't good enough. I would pick up those test kits asap. Its important to know the condition of your water. The kits are cheap, a lot cheaper than having to medicate your tank because it LOOKED like everything was fine, or replace your fish because they all died.

Technically your fish COULD survive if you didn't do a waterchange for two months, but it doesn't mean that its good or recommended. Not trying to lecture, just trying to explain the importance of knowing your waters chemistry. Your fishes lives depend on it.
    Is Hokey Pokey really what its all about?

the test kits at my fish store are like 45 dollars, that just seems a little pricy, and even more if you buy them individually of course

most lfs will test your water free of charge

$45 for a master kit which has usually 6 or 7 different tests in it is a good deal since it will last you a year or more normally. (Some tests last longer than others)

If you can't afford to test your water, then you are probably in the wrong hobby....

As Jenny said, most LFS will test your water free, but that isn't convienient when you have a problem and need to know right away.... and LoJack is correct in saying you will spend more on meds and replacement fish over the long run by just "guessing" your chemistry is safe.
    "Cichlids aren't aggressive, they are territorial. Aggression is a response to inadequate territory for their breeding and feeding needs."

"A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!"

My Tanks