Thread: Moving Spiny Catfish

aharris is offline Just when you thought it was
    safe to change the water . . . MOD!

Talking Moving Spiny Catfish

I know a lot of folks say to herd the fish into a container so they don't get tangled in the net. I've had them get tangled in the net too. I just spent 15 min chasing a S. decorus arounda 55g trying to get him to oblige me by swimming into a container with no luck. I finally got annoyed and figured I was just going to have to risk fate by netting him out. I got him in the net when I had an idea: why not keep him suspended in water by sliding the container under him once he was in the net much like I would with a holding female?

I figured the trouble with spiny fins getting tangled up comes mainly when the fish gets tanlged int he net out of water thrashing around, so I might not have that problem if I kept him in water even if he was netted. Sure enough it worked.

I moved one S. decorus and 6 S. petricola this way with no trouble. I can see how they might get tangled still, but if the fish isn't struggling while wrapped closely int he net I think your chances of it happening are much reduced.

I am probably the last person to discover this, but maybe not, and if someone else gets frustrated by trying to chase them into containers and broken fin ray might be avoided by this tactic.
    "I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, Mythbuster

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

I use a large fine-mesh net for catfish. They're slower in the water, since water doesn't pass through the mesh very quickly, but the mesh won't catch spines either.

I have yet to see a fine mesh net for sale in a pet store around here. Now, maybe if I went to a bait store . . . Still, this system seemed to work out pretty well for transferring between healthy aquariums.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

The fine mesh net works pretty good. I have a large and small fine mesh net but the large one is is starting to rip on the part where its connected to the steel. I cant seem to find anyone who carries them anymore either. If you can get your hands on one they also work good for catching small floating debris. Sometimes I take all the wood out and stir up the gravel real hard and run my big net back and forth in the water. The gravel siphon just leaves too many small particles. Have a GREAT 4th of July everyone!!!

How's your decorus doing? Despite only seeing mine come out at night, they are really spectacular fish.
    I should use this space to promote the photo contest...but I can't think of anything clever...

My Decorus is doing much better now that he's in the bigger tank without that mean old julie to pick on him and keep him from hiding. I'm in the bare tank phase of moving at the moment, so I'm actually getting to see him again. He hid the moment I put him in the bigger tank despite there being less rocks, and aside from seeing a snout or flash of fin that was it. When the rocks came out, he'd grown, gained some girth, and developed a nice dorsal filament. Unfortunately, the julies have since picked that off now that he has nowhere to hide, but it'll grow back once I get moved and he gets his regular hidey hole. He'll be ready to contend with the Frontosa in 6-8 months assuming I don't lose him in the move.

And the container thing really does work. I move all six S. petricola out of the 55g that was being broken down and into the 135g the same way. Net first, then suspend net in a shallow gladware container of water. It worked just as well this time to keep them from freaking out and getting tangled up.

I hooked a Spotted Pim Cat in my net and it took almost 20 mins to get him free. I felt so terrible I almost injured/lost the poor guy. He was a trooper and after 24 hours he was back to his crazy self.
    Monster Fish:
    Mangrove Jack
    Swordspine Snook
    Hampala Barb
    Indonesian Datnoid
    Thinbar Datnoid

Africans:
    Oreochromis tanganicae
    Fossorochromis rostratus
    Dimideochromis compressiceps
    Cyphotalapia frontosa

Plecos: