Thread: How many cichlids in a 30 gallon tank?

Default How many cichlids in a 30 gallon tank?

The guy at the pet store told me that the cichlids i bought will grow between 4 and 6 inches. How many can i keep in a 30 gallon tank? What size tank would i need to keep 4? Thanks

It depends on what type of cichlids you have. One of my tanks are a 30 and I only keep one of my cichlids in there right now. If your cichlids get up to six inches, I would suggest getting at least a 55 if you want to have four. Remember, the more fish you crowd in a small tank, the faster the amonia levels will rise.
    "Good judgement comes from experience"
    "experience comes from bad judgement"

You could get by with what you have in the general sense, but you need good filtration and a good water change schedule.

If you test for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate and can keep the levels at zero for ammonia and nitrite you'll be OK. If your nitrates consistantley measure 40ppm or over you will need a bigger tank.

Also what are you keeping and what are your water parameters. What species are you keeping?

Let us know. In the broader sense, if fishkeeping is what your into go with the biggest tank you can afford. As far as fish tanks go bigger is better

Regards,

Matt

Welcome, Navy journalist!!
    Row well and live.

55g mixed Haps, mbuna, syn eup, Syn ?
    125g mixed Haps, Labs, Syn multis, N. Ven, P. Phinoc, C. Moorii, Exo. anyg, Assorted Peacocks,accei, Red Emp

Well said, Matt!

In the area of cichlid keeping, bigger is always better. More is better, too...especially when you are talking about filtration. Since they eat a great amount, they make great amounts of waste, as well. Many cichlid keepers run more than one filter on a tank. Help us help you by giving us more details, as Matt suggested!

Hey, NavyJournalist! Welcome to the Forum!
    Just one more fish...I sware it's the last one!

Just keep swimming. Just keep swimming. Just keep swimming, swimming, swimming.

Terry: You wrote " i bought " How many did you get? And are you now worried you have too many? What type of cichlid did you get? If you do not know you need to go back to the place you purchased them and ask. Are we talking 6 inch male and 4 inch females or they all will get 4 to 6 inches big? Do you have a 30 gal and want to know if these fish can stay in this tank or are you planning on getting another tank? Please clear up some of these questions. With a better description of what you have and what you need to know..... Tony.
    If it was so,it might be;and if it were so,it would be;but as it isn't,it ain't.That's logic...Tweedledee