Thread: where to buy lava rock????

Default where to buy lava rock????

I have searched home depot and only found a bag near the grilling section. Some people say they buy large lava rocks at HD and chip them smaller. I have searched the web hi & low for any stone dealers that advertise they sell lava roks and didnt find anything. Can someone help me?? Does anyone know of a cheap place in Connecticut to buy large 6"-8" size lava rocks???
    Please help... I hate my tank set up and need to redo!!!
    Thank you

Try landscaping supply store or garden and pond supply store.
    90G: Cichlasoma Salvini. Ps.Long Pelvic Mdoka, Ps. Elongatus Likoma, 3 Ps.Elongatus Chailosi, Ps Polit, Ps. Saulosi, Cynotilapia Afra Jalo Reef, Cynotilapia Afra White Top,Melanochromis Cyaneorhabdos,4 Labeotropheus Trewavasae Chilumba Red, 3 Ps. Acei and 5 Synodontis Petricola
    75G: 13 Labidochromis Caeruleus, 15 Pseudotropheus Demasoni, 7 Melanochromis Cyaneorhabdos and 6 Synodontis Petricola.

My LFS sells it but it's expensive. I haven't found it anywhere else.
    75g-
    2 Lab. Zebra Lundo's, 1 Yellow Dorsal Afras, 6 Yellow Labs, 1 Red Zebras, 1 Jalo Reef Afra, 2 Aulonocara Blue Neon Peacocks, 1 albino Socolofi, 1 Acei, 5 Ps. Flavus, 1 unknow Afra, 1 Syno. Eupterus

29g-
    3 Ps. Polits, 1 Syno. Petricola, 1 Haplochromis sp. 44, 1 Red Zebra, numerous yellow labs, numerous Flavus babies.

My Fishies

Originally posted by jhunbj
    Try landscaping supply store or garden and pond supply store.
    That's where I find it. Look in the phone book under "landscaping" or "landscape supply". Sometimes you'll see it at places that sell bricks too.
    Just being for awhile.

Thanks everyone for the info. I went to a garden place today and they do carry it just not until April. They have the large stones too. So I will wait until April to do the tank over.

hey where did u go in CT that said they would have it in april? I live in CT and can't find any landscape places that carry lava or limestone rock

Dankster -
    Vinnies garden center in Wallingford. The guy told me they carry large rocks (bowling ball size) maybe larger. He said they should be getting them in around early March. I called today and the lady confirmed but she said they "look like lava rock and are actually crushed brick.