Thread: eels with cichlids, possible ?

Default eels with cichlids, possible ?

I am wondering if it's possible to keep any type of eel in with cichlids? My nephue just got 2 gold flake eels and he is keeping them in with oscars with no problems. I was curious as to whether it is possible to keep a gold flake eel in with africans? I've been told that they need a salt content as adults and would do well in the salt content of a cichlid tank. Just wondering if they would get along? They are cool with the oscars, but oscars are not realy active or agressive (well, except at feeding time )

aharris is offline Just when you thought it was
    safe to change the water . . . MOD!

Lake Tang has at least two species of eel that are indigenous and as such are completely compatible with Rift lake conditions although they may not be compatible with all species of African cichlid. M. ellipsifer is one of them.
    "I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, Mythbuster

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

I bought a gold flake eel off my nephew since he was advised not to house 2 of these in something less than a 120. It's supposed to get about 24" and needs some salt content after it reaches a juvenile. I tried doing searches on it for more detailed info but keep getting directed to the snowflake eel. The LFS had it named as a fresh water gold flake moray eel. Could it be one in the same? I seem to be a sucker for my nephew’s orphans

I'm having trouble feeding the goldflake eel. I feed the fish then try and get some prawn down to the eel with the tongs but the cichlids attack the prawn right off the tongs before I can get it to the bottom near the eel. I also tried feeders (small rosy reds) but the cichlids attack them too before the eel even knows they're there. I thought maybe putting in a few feeders in after lights out so the cichlids didn't see them since the eel is nocternal. That didn't work either, they saw them alright they never had a chance. any ideas? I thought of putting some prawn or krill in a glass bottle (old corona bottle would look good) and sinking it. The eel could get in but not the fish. Only problem is, with the rock formation I built in the tank I don't think I can fit a bottle anywhere Any other suggestions would be great.
    Attached Images Attached Images

The bottle feeding is a great idea....

One word of caution:
    I think you may have a true eel and not a "spiny eel"...The issue with that is that most true eels can not survive well in fresh water as adults. Many eels spend their juvenile years in fresh water and then slowly move down the river or estuary to the ocean....and not too much is known on their reproductive habits..l.

If you want an "eel" with your African Cichlids I would recommend a spiny eel from Lake Tanganyika. I have an Aethiomastacembelus plagiostoma "Tanganyikan Banded eel"

Beware while googling these fish because there is a webpage on geocities that is ripping off pictures from Armkes.com and has some really BAD info on these fish (they call them true eels)...

Here's a pic or two of mine. He is currently living in a Tanganyikan community with substrate/cave spawners and loves stealing their broods!

I should use this space to promote the photo contest...but I can't think of anything clever...

Supposedly this eel should do ok as an adult in the salt content of my Malawi tank. We'll see. My nephews are over 2' and about 1" in dia. and doing very well in an Oscar tank with a lower salt content than mine. I'll try and get a shot of him and post it. He is quite impressive looking.

Sounds like cool looking fish!
    I should use this space to promote the photo contest...but I can't think of anything clever...

Well, he's definitely hungry now! He went after my small kenyi this morning during feeding. He grabbed him then let him go when he realized it was to big. I'm sinking a good size (very well cleaned) Smirnoff bottle (750ml) in the hopes he'll go in for the prawn. I tried feeding the fish then bringing the prawn down to him while the fish are eating with a set of tongs but the large kenyi caught on once again Now I’ll sit and wait for him to check out what's in the bottle. He has been out A LOT during the day for the past couple of days so his stomach has to be growling.

aharris is offline Just when you thought it was
    safe to change the water . . . MOD!

The problem with the term "salt content" is that some people mistake the high pH of a Rift tank to be synonymous with the high pH of a true brackish or salt type tank.
    "I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, Mythbuster

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

I do have a good salt content besides the high PH. I have 3/4 tsp cichlid salt per 10gal 1 tsp epsom salt per 5gal and 1 tsp baking soda per 5gal PH is 8.4, Nitrite 0ppm, Nitrate 10ppm, Ammonia 0ppm, GH 21, KH 15-17 I finaly got a shot of the eel. Here it is. It is about 14-16" and 1/2" in dia.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nice!

He is nice, but he's a dope. I sank a bottle with some prawn in it (for hours am and pm) and he never even went in to check it out. He still insists on going after other bigger fish he can't possibly eat. I put a few rosy reds in there to see if he wanted to hunt and he left them alone also and went for my 2 1/2" jewel (he won't do that again though )