Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Basic info on Oscar Growth

Well, I just vented my Oscar. She's a girl. After not being able to catch her in a net I tried using my hand, not knowing how sharp her dorsal fin is, ouchy. After trying again with the net, I caught her and turned her upside down. I thought she might be a male as my female red parrot would rub up against her as if saying "hey there big boy". She's pretty angry with me now however. Oh well, time to ask for forgivenes with some mealworms, yummy.
    Patti the Pomeranian
    Houdini the Bearded Dragon
    Betta

does anyone know oxygen requirements, like a formula or something? my tank is 72x18x27 i only run air pump when lights turn off, with live plants (large sword plant, green wendtii, java fern and some fast spreading val and water sprite) is this enough oxygen for 2 oscars a redtail shark and a bichir?

We need to pump air in the tank? I don't and my fish are doing great. I heard as long as the water coming back in from filter system "breaks" the water then oxygen is going into it. I keep the water level around an inch from the top so there's constant "breakage". Am I wrong? I don't think I ever lost a fish due to lack of oxygen.
    Patti the Pomeranian
    Betta

You're right, surface agitation from the filter is all you need.
    Quote Originally Posted by maccichlid View Post
    at least when i smack you, it will be with a prize-worthy koi, not some common carp.

Music to my ears, thanks cichgirl.
    Patti the Pomeranian
    Betta

i bought two oscars for my 90 yesterday(i kknow i probably cant house both together forever in there) but i has 3 last year and they stuck together in a group so i could not get just one. they are TINY(can easily be eaten by the ones i had last year) but figured id start small. one is a 1.5 inch beautiful pure albino tiger and the other is a 1 inch red oscar(had a 10 incher last year with tons of red hope this one grows up to look like that) and they swimn together. do you guys tthink i will have to seperatethese at some point? ornif i have enough filtration and do frequent water changes should they both be good in there for good? thanks

DErek

Quote Originally Posted by cracklingice View Post
    I used to catch these in the canals as a kid. Man are they ugly when they've been living in canals getting picked on by nature.

I think like a 210gal, or larger, with at least 5 of them and some large catfish and plecos would make a very interesting conversation piece though. Oooh, maybe even a school of large tinfoil barbs.
    lol yes the canal Oscars after generations of being born in canals look very different than pet store Oscars. To begin with other than the Oscar red dot they lose all color and look "mud color".

They are incredibly smart fish and the huge adults are so smart that they will not bite a hook and even recognize a fishing pole .
    If you feed them fish pellets after few weeks they recognize you .

I love Oscars but to big for me to keep.

i lost all my oscars recently. lost all my fiish. 2 weekends agoi bought ahuge 14 inch oscar. hes now in my 180(only fish in there)

what kind of catfish would be best? Looking to get one to help with the mess

Patti the Pomeranian
    Betta

Quote Originally Posted by A-Rog View Post
    what kind of catfish would be best? Looking to get one to help with the mess
    anyone?

Oscars are just wonderful fish but its all true. Max of two for 125 gallon tank, Need tons of filtration, Need to watch any tankmates, they can snap a glass heater just playing, need constant gravel vacuuming, will eat you out of house and home, beyond a doubt the Saint Barnard of fish. Funny how we will spend $$$$ in equipment to house a twenty dollar fish and I wouldn't give mine up for nothing. I think for ethics all fish stores should have to post a warning of some sort when they are babies because they sure are cute at 1 1/2 to 2 inches and allot of fish stores assume you know what your in for when you buy one!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by cichgirl View Post
    This guy's just over a year old, believe it or not. Sorry about the quality pic. He's 14" from head to tail fin and about 3" wide between the eyes. He's about 6.5 - 7" (i think) tall at the middle. The absolute minimum sized tank that he could comfortably housed in would be a 75 for him alone. He is currently in a 150 with 7 tankmates. I just thought I'd illustrate just how quickly these guys get huge. It seems like every time you look at them they are bigger than the night before, sometimes hours before. Thought some of our new enthusiasts should know what they are getting into when they are sold these guys from their lfs. My lfs was asking me if I would take in some oscars because they have a bunch that people can't keep anymore because they are too big for their tank. They will stunt easier than most other fishes because they grow so darn fast. Rather than go through the frustration of getting attached to a "puppyfish" and having to part with him or worse euthanize him because you can't keep him anymore - try to wait to get these fish until you have the space. They are really hard to get rid of once they get over 6-8" and if you have a 30, that tank will last you all but a few months if you buy them at 1-2". Believe me, it's worth the wait. Oscars are great fish!

He used to be cute not all that long ago........
    When I was about 7-10 years old I had a 10 gallon neon tank and 10 gallon goldfish tank. I saw a cute fish about 1 inch long all black and gold. The petstore told me it would work well in my 10 gallon goldfish tank. It grew like a weed...so my parents took a picture and went to another petstore to see if I needed a bigger tank...it was an oscar! By the time I was in HS it was about 15-16 inches long and of couse we never went back to that store that said it would work great in a 10 gallon.