Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: plecos keep dying...

Default plecos keep dying...

I have gone through.... I think it may now be 6 plecos in the past year in my 55g. They'll each last a few weeks/months and then start rotting away. All the levels in my tank are normal, and my spotted raphael and dojo loach are doing just fine. Could it be something in the substrate? Is it possible that they're getting too much to eat?
    55gal- 1x Banded Severum
    1x Chocolate (Temporalis)
    1x Firemouth
    1x Spotted Raphael
    4x Silver Dollar

45gal- 1x Gold Severum
    1x Firemouth
    1x Pleco
    4x Giant Danio
    4x Buenos Aires Tetra

Do you have a good amount of algae or do you feed them wafers? When you say rotting away do you mean fin & tail rot?
    Quote Originally Posted by maccichlid View Post
    at least when i smack you, it will be with a prize-worthy koi, not some common carp.

Fin, tail and body rot- it's like they're dead and only slowly realize it. There's more than plenty of algae for them to eat- I have to srape to help them out because sometimes I think it might be too much for them. Can they over-eat to death?
    55gal- 1x Banded Severum
    1x Firemouth
    1x Spotted Raphael
    4x Silver Dollar

45gal- 1x Gold Severum
    1x Firemouth
    1x Pleco
    4x Giant Danio
    4x Buenos Aires Tetra

Strange. I've never been able to kill a pleco. Were they all from the same lfs?
    at least when i smack you, it will be with a prize-worthy koi, not some common carp.

How much salt do you add?

good question. Didn't think of that.

So sorry for the slow response- I began my college life one week ago today, and things have been pretty hectic/crazy/amazing.... but back to the problem...They have been from three different stores, all of which are of excellent repute. As for the salt, I tip in a little every now and again- how much should be in there?
    55gal- 1x Banded Severum
    1x Firemouth
    1x Spotted Raphael
    4x Silver Dollar

45gal- 1x Gold Severum
    1x Firemouth
    1x Pleco
    4x Giant Danio
    4x Buenos Aires Tetra

I had this problem a while ago when I bought a pleco, which died after 2 days. Most books say they are sensitive to salt so I'd guess that could your issue (I had put some salt in my tank a couple of weeks before).

With my tank, I did some weekly 25% water changes for 3 months (and no salt), by which time I thought it safe enough to add a Pleco. I've got a little Clown Plec now which is doing fine.......

Hope this is of use.

Tom

Also, what kind of plecos have you lost? Some are delicate, especially at small size. With some, it's recommended that you acclimatize them for an extended period in a tank of their own, before you put them in with other fish, to make sure they are eating properly. Good luck (with school and fish)!
    Luckiest guy on the planet.

They were mostly common plecos, but there was one chocolate, one albino chocolate and one candystripe(or something of the sort. The first one that died was about 7 inches long, but the others ranged between two and five. Right now there isn't one in the tank, it's just getting scraped every time I go home. Go dawgs! (Sorry- just got back from a game )
    55gal- 1x Banded Severum
    1x Firemouth
    1x Spotted Raphael
    4x Silver Dollar

45gal- 1x Gold Severum
    1x Firemouth
    1x Pleco
    4x Giant Danio
    4x Buenos Aires Tetra

11. Default Re: plecos keep dying...

Originally posted by wheelie
    I have gone through.... I think it may now be 6 plecos in the past year in my 55g. They'll each last a few weeks/months and then start rotting away. All the levels in my tank are normal, and my spotted raphael and dojo loach are doing just fine. Could it be something in the substrate? Is it possible that they're getting too much to eat?
    Okay, we are going to save those plecos!! Even if any of these sounds like something you know already, read them anyway, because there may be information that you really need.

Number one: in each tank there needs to be enough aquarium conditioner with chlorine and chloramine remover. And enough salt specifically made for freshwater aquariums. Important: Regular table salt isn't good for these fish. Sometimes thats good for saltwater fish, but not freshwater.
    For every amount of water you remove during monthly cleanings, you must replace those. If you haven't been using water conditioner with chlorine/cholamine remover then you need to siphon half the water out immediatly and use a amonia remover. What happens chlorina/chloramine burns their skin and the amonia that is formed from these chemicals is far worse. Chlorine/chloramine must be neutralized! Or amonia will form and make them sick and die.

Number Two: Even though plecos remove algae, you must still siphon dirty water from the rocks below every month. They also need a supplement every day. Algae wafers. If there is uneaten food in the water, it adds to the amonia effect and that unused food must be removed immediatly. If you are using too much light, it can hurt them and not enough light they need wafers. They need a break from all that light because they like to hang out in the dark. Without enough light, they're not getting algae.

Number Three: Plecos need enough aged water to give them the life they need. Aquarium water conditioner not only removes bad chemicals but also ages the water. Plecos die and get sick when they don't have water thats aged.

Number Four:If the plecos you are getting are coming from the same store, discontinue buying plecos from them.

Number Five: You need a diagnosis. Go to a pet shop and tell them the problems you have been having.

Number Five: certain medicines given to fish kill them. Sometimes when fish are sick, all they need is more freshwater salt than usual. Sometimes instructions say to increase the heater one or two degrees. I have had an aquarium for many years and my pleco is almost eleven. When my fish would get sick, I'd use the chemical medicine provided at one of the pet stores in my area, and alot of my fish suffered and died. The other pet store I went to, said usually they don't need medicine, often just more freshwater salt. After that, my fish lasted longer.

Good luck! Any more questions just ask me.

12. Default

Oh and also, what degree do you have your aquarium at? Depending on the species is different. Common plecos do well between 75degrees and 78 degrees at most. If the fish in your aquarium need a higher or lower degree, then maybe you should put the plecos in another tank so they can have the temp where they need it.

13. Default

Firemouth chincilids need a temp between 77 degrees and 86 degrees. 86 degrees will kill a pleco. Anything higher than 80 degrees will cause a common pleco to slowly die.

14. Default

And Spotted Raphael plecos are predators and plecos can be territorial. Its possible the the rot is caused from the plecos sucking on the skin of the other plecos.

15. Default

Oh no, I'm sorry its not Spotted Raphaels that are predators! Its the striped ones! Yours is a peaceful animals that get along with everybody. But its true though that plecos territorial. They're peaceful and sweet but they like they're space.

http://www.aquahobby.com/gallery/e_costatus.php