Thread: How Big will my cichlids get???

Question How Big will my cichlids get???

I have a newly aquired 55 Gallon Tank. I have about 6 Pink Convict Cichlids, 4 Convict Cichlids, 2 Blood Parrot Cichlids. I also have 3 african cichlids in the tank. I need to know how big they will all get. Also can you put a puffer fish in with the cichlids???
    Future King of the World
    ~How Will You Survive~

well each convict will get around 5.5 inchces, some bigger, some smaller. the parrot will get around that size but a bit bigger, around 6.5 inches.

you are talking about somewhere around 70 inches of fish in that tank.

a rule I like to use for figuring out tank stocking (the best I can do withought knowing the fish) is 1" of medium agressive fish per 1/4 square foot of your footprint.
    okay now for the little finniky rules
    *if the fish arnt verry agressive you can get away with a bit more fish inchage
    * if you are stocking with more fish rather than just one big fish then you can get a bit more inchage
    * generaly (if te tank is larger than 33 gallons and you arnt) you can get one convict per square foot
    * f you are borderlining (you have about 3 inches left and your next fish is 5) never add the extra fish

and I dont think the cons woud like a puffer in there. they are like pirahna so when they are hungry they eat their tankmates finns
    ""I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV
    will be fought with sticks and stones." "- albert Einstine

Welcome - too many fish. You really need to take back the africans (diferent needs). Keep 2 convicts (whatever colour you like) and the 2 parrots. That's if you have great fitration and do weekly water changes.

Parrots are usually quopted as about 8"er's, but I have personally seen a 9-10" pb (not including it's tail) that blew me away. And they are big and fat too. You must plan ahead for them.

And forget the puffer - they don't mix.

But welcome to the forums - I think you'll find the bp's will have the right personality to mix with cons. I think they should be tough enough to last should (when) your cons breed. You jusy need to get those numbers under control. Trust me, it's a lot nicer to have a smaller number of fish and take great care of them than to stock your tank full and start having trouble. It will never end!

If you need some more fish, get a bristlenose pleco, or a small group of small dithers.

Anyone else wanna jump in?
    Everything in moderation, especially moderation.

I dont have experience with the BP's but I think you hit it on point Neo. Size wise, I think 2 BP's and a pair of cons would work in there. A striped raphael catfish could substitute for the pleco, there would be less waste that way and the cat would surely enjoy the con's breeding. 4 or 5 giant danios would work good for dithers.
    I knew a guy who was dyslexic. He was also cross-eyed. So everything came out right. ~ Gummo
    www.myspace.com/djfungus

Well, you wouldn't see th b/n, but he would take care of the algae. B/n's dopn't get so big (4-6") The cat would be more fun though.

Giant danio's are great and SPASTIC dithers. I like them

Keep in mind that what we've suggested is still heavily stocked for your tank. You'll have to be top notch in your maintenance, but we can help give you guidlines if you need them.