Thread: Office tank ideas

Default Office tank ideas

I'm once again planning an office tank (I had originally thought of going mbuna, since most clients would be more impressed by "all the pretty colors" than by a big, beautiful fish with personality...I got sidetracked for a few months around tax time, but am back at it). I am thinking along the lines of a female festae, with a cat of some sort (the lfs that has the Rapps wild-caught festae I want has some "interesting" cats. I'll steer clear of the Juruense (sp?), which has a 24" potential, and has profiles that suggest you only keep fish that are at least half its size. They have another, something like "Aschara" that I can't find any info on...probably another 2-footer, but it is very neat.). Maybe a gold nugget pleco. Any feedback on how this would work, or suggestions? Also, tank size recommedations would be appreciated. I had planned on a minimum of 90, but this group may need a six-foot tank.

Thanks,
    David
    Luckiest guy on the planet.

I have often though about doing an office tank. I keep telling myself no because I can't imagine doing the maintenance at the office. Also, if there is a weekend problem and I'm not there.....
    I just cannot convince myself to do it.
    More power to ya fish speaker!

Those are the main issues I'm struggling with right now. I need to think about whether I really want to stay to do water changes a couple times per week, and glass scraping, etc. Since I'm one of the owners, I could probably get away with hiring a service...my lfs at least advertises that they offer maintenance for office tanks. On the other hand...

(I had really sort of dismissed the idea because of these issues, and I am afraid I'm using it now as a way to buy a few fish I don't have room for at home yet).

4. Default

try a reclusive fish.

I think we all agree that an occasional day of fasting os worthwhile for fish. Maybe if you work your schedules around a reasonable weekend fast you will do ok.

Plus an exceptionally shy fish may like the 2 days of serenity.
    55 gal 7" "Fiona" F / 4" "Shrek" M Pike Cichlid sp "Belly Crawler", 8" M Flowerhorn cichlid, 4 Giant Danios, 2 Striped Rafaels, 1 Plecos, 1 4" Painted Turtle,

39 Gal with 8" M Nicaraguan cichlid, 2 spotted Rafael Catfish, Juvi Green Terrors and a pleco

I do not think you would need to change the water several times per week if you kept the tank lightly stocked, had good filtration and didn't over feed. What would be your proximity to a sink, and could you get a long enough python? I would be worried about the number of buckets you would need to haul to do an adequate water change on a 90 if you weren't close enough to use a python.
    Mom to crazyfishspeakerbabies 4/20/11 & 10/26/12 <3

There is a sink within easy python distance from my office...Believe me, I would never think of having a tank at the office without being able to use a python. I have to check the drain, to make sure it doesn't need some work, though. The main reservation that I have at the moment is time: our lease is up in a year, and we are looking at renewal right now. If we renew, I might go ahead with the tank. Until that happens, I'd hold off: I don't want to put in a tank, knowing that I have to move it in a few months.

Lightly stocked? What's that?

It might end up being a better idea to convert half of the garage to a fish room...except that the firm money would not pay for it at my house .

Hahahaha!!! You're working for the wrong firm ;)
    Everything in moderation, especially moderation.

Maybe I should rephrase that: the firm money would pay for it, but in the event of audit, it could present a problem ("So, these office furnishings are...where?").

So you list your garage as a your firm's advertsiment distibution center. To make it self sufficient, you work on a please-take-one-policy pamphlet box. And even better, just fill the box with a 'reorder-item#123' card ;)
    Everything in moderation, especially moderation.

...and then I can deduct my mileage between my main office, and this advertisement distribution center. Works for me.