Thread: is it a hybrid convict or not

Default is it a hybrid convict or not

well i went to my lfs and saw these two convict. they were only 2.5 for the male and 2 inches for the female. they were 2.99 each so i bought them. after 2 days i got them i decide to put a light for them. my female is like the normal black and white zebra convict. my male somehow i think is a hybrid. it looks like a convict but it's shape is like a firemouth. he is not a zebra color because he looks blueish. you can see his stripe when you look very close to the tank. and he also have the black stuff like firemouth do too. i think he is a hybrid. but tell me if it's normal or it's a hybrid or if it's just a blue convict. all help is appreciated.

after i went to research i think that he is a mix breed of a stripe convict and a honduran red point.

Is there anyways you can post a picture of it?

http://badmanstropicalfish.com/mb_pi...ed_Points3.jpg
    i can't get one of my own pics but mines kinda look like this. only the bottom fins are blue. he is mostly grey though.
    http://homepage.ntlworld.com/g.skuse...s/nigrofas.jpg
    he don't look like this either. he is much brighter and he is have the black dots. and you don't see his stripe until you are kissing the tank. hahahahaha

Hmmm, kinda makes me think you could just have a HRP as these cichlids do not look 100% like convicts.

i don't noe but his female is a zebra convict.

Default is my male convict a hybrid

Could anyone tell me if my male convict could be a hybrid because he has a weird thing that comes down like the thing that firemouths have every time he tries scare me away from the fry.

post a picture, in your own thread ;)

weird thing that comes down is not nearly descriptive enough for anyone to tlel you if your fish is a hybrid or not.

Lightbulb Its no mystery, hes a HRP and probably pure.

Quote Originally Posted by skyline View Post
    Could anyone tell me if my male convict could be a hybrid because he has a weird thing that comes down like the thing that firemouths have every time he tries scare me away from the fry.
    that thing that comes down is most probably his sperm duct,my biggest convict's thing is bigger than the firemouth's.
    all my males charge the tank if they don't like the person looking, i feed them blood worm by hand and they all will take it from my fingers so i guess they trust me and i don't get charged, but my misses cant even clean the tanks without being attacked.

as for your male, hes a Honduran red point. he could be a cross but remember all fish even those of the same species look different, i have had female convicts that have been all most completely red on the underside like a Firemouth, but definatley were pure. i bred them from wild stock, so i mean
    he could be pure-bred and is definatley not a firemouth cross
    http://forums.waterwolves.com/upload...1170902095.jpg these are firemouth/convicts.

there is debate over the HRP and convicts some think its a regional morph, others a different species. they will breed and they should have valid offspring.
    and they will look nicer than standard lfs convicts.

oh and all 4 male convicts i have at the moment show a central horizontal black stripe like a firemouth or rainbow and the biggest one has a bronze patches on his cheeks , and all four are f1 fry from my wild pair who died last christmas after many-many thousands of fry were raised to independence.

have fun anyway, they should breed every 2-4 weeks and then you will have the same problem as me , what to do with them all!