Posting images using the board's Attachment feature

From the FAQ:

The attachment feature of this board gives you the ability to attach image files and even short video clips.

To attach a file to a new post, simply click the [Browse] button at the bottom of the post composition page, and locate the file that you want to attach from your local hard drive.

After posting, the attachment will show up in the body of your message. To view the contents of the attachment (if it is not already displayed) simply click the filename link that appears next to the attachment icon.

Posting remote files

Before you can post photographs directly on this or any other site, you must first upload them to a server connected to the Internet. Once the image files (usually jpg or gif) are on an active server, the syntax to enter here will look something like this (only without the spaces):

[IMG ] http:// www. domain.com/ images/fish/cichlid01. jpg [/ IMG]

OK, but how do I get them on a server?

You have to upload them, which means, of course, you have to be granted access to a server. If you have no web hosting account, or a very limited one, a solution is to host your images with any of the many companies on the Net that offer server space at no direct cost to you--i.e., in exchange for your exposure to either on-site advertising or commercial e-mailings (or both). We won't recommend one over another, but again, there are several to choose from should you decide to go that route. (In a search engine, enter "free image hosting" and the like.)

Note: Unless you have permission to link directly to an image, even if you hold the copyright, it's not a good idea to do so. Linking directly to images on another server without permission to use the corresponding bandwidth is sometimes referred to as "hotlinking" or "bandwidth theft." While "bandwidth theft" isn't necessarily a crime, it's not sound practice, either, and we will not knowingly allow such linked images on these Forums. So please make sure the host permits such linking.

Alternately, you can open an account with cichlidgallery.com, which has been set up for the purpose of providing server space to showcase your cichlid-related images. To gain access to your own space of 50 MB (roughly 500 photographs), all you need do is send a private message to Glaive. It's free, you won't receive any spam from us, and we do not unless obligated by law reveal any information about you to anyone.

How do I post a link here to my images at cichlidgallery.com ?

To post a text link that opens a window which displays your image, simply copy the URL shown in the URL bar on your browser or on the "properties" window of your image.

How do I get my images at cichlidgallery.com to show up here?

To post a direct link so that the image itself is displayed here, do not copy and paste the URL; instead, use the following syntax:

[IMG ]http://cichlidgallery.com/ albums/NameofYourAlbum/NameofYourImage.sized.jpg[/IMG].

Please do not forget to include "sized" unless your uploaded image is less than the maximum allowable 600 pixels wide.