Thread: stocking the office tank

Default stocking the office tank

I haven't even purchased the tank yet, but I'm brainstorming fish selection. I have pretty much decided that the tank will be a 90-gallon, primarily due to space considerations (outside chance I'll go for a 120 or 125). In choosing fish for the office, I have a couple of considerations that are different than if this were another tank in my home: (1) I'm not as interested in fish with "drab" females (I guess that most people who know nothing about cichlids wouldn't appreciate that the 4 grey fish are the reason the other one is so brilliant in color, as he shakes before them), and (2) I'm even more concerned about aggression, since I will not be able to spend all my time at work monitoring the tank, and I am not interested in a display of fish parts for the clients ).

All that being said, can anybody give me an opinion on Ps. saulosi? I like the fact that the females look good enough to take the place of yellow labs (which I will not use in this tank, if I go with saulosi...probably will go with perlmutt or hongi for a lab species), and they are nice and small.

Another alternative is just a big colony of demasoni, offset by yellow labs (my 180 has a group of 14 demasoni that have been growing up since New Years, and I have 2 females holding...and only one death in the group so far). In fact, I keep waivering between just stocking from the fry of my 180 (since I will not allow any of the fry out of my possession, due to the fact that they were spawned in a community tank), which would be a nice tank...but I'm sure it would be more fun to have a different group in this tank.

Any advice based on what you have kept that might help me in making my decisions will be appreciated.

Luckiest guy on the planet.

With a 90 gallon tank with lots of rocks i would go with either one of these ideas...

Labidochromis Caeruleus
    Iodotropheus Sprengae
    Pseudotropheus Saulosi
    Pseudotropheus Socofoli
    Pseudotropheus Acei

OR

Labidochromis Caeruleus
    Pseudotropheus Demansoni
    Pseudotropheus Acei

I would go for monomorphic species but since they are hard to sex i would say that i would buy juvis and grow them out and figure out which are male and sell or give away extra males...

I would lean more to the second but both will be fine since the blue and black on the demansoni and the purply and yellow on the acei and the yellow on the labs would tie everything together and make a great tank all together ;)

HTH if youve got any more ideas on fish just post...

The Demasoni are a great choice if you like replacing dead fish.

Males tend to get ugly with their own kind, and it is difficult to keep consistent numbers unless you start with a VERY large colony.

I'd say scratch the Demasoni, and go with another variety of blue/black. The Maingano (or Cyaneorhabdos) would work well in your set-up.

The Doc
    Support bacteria........They are the only culture some people have.

Originally posted by Doc_Polit
    The Demasoni are a great choice if you like replacing dead fish...it is difficult to keep consistent numbers unless you start with a VERY large colony....
    Thanks for the recommendation. The colony of demasoni in my home 180 has been great so far, but it's far too early to tell how things will work out (they are just now starting to breed, with a couple of females holding). I'm thinking of something different for the office tank, just to be different from the home tank, but demasoni could be one of those selections that HAS to be in there....We'll see how I feel in a couple of weeks.

For stunning females you could go for Mel. Auratus, but then you'd be REALLY asking for trouble. they don't think fighting is a hobby, it's a way of life!!! between them and the demasoni it wouldn't be pretty!

Hey Fish Speaker,

I know you have put alot of thought into this tank, so now that you are narrowing down the choices... here comes a curve-ball.

How about Tanganykans. Lower aggression, very nice selection of colors, body shape, behaviors. Maybe some Calvus, leluepi, cyprachromis, etc

Good Luck on whatever you decide.

I have considered Tangs, but I would probably do a home tank first, so that I can learn in an environment where I have more time, etc.

Hmmm...maybe I could START with mbuna, and then put in a fusco! Just kidding, although I would love one of those fish!