Thread: Help

Default Help

I have a OB Peacock that wasn't eating. Which I posted earlier and I thought I found out why...I thought it was from a piece of gravel stuck in her mouth so I tried to get it out and when I opened her mouth she spit out eggs. So what do I do? How do they eat if they have them in there mouth? Also, how long do they hold for? She hasn't eaten in three days. Please help.
    The weird part is that i have her seperated in a 15 gallon tank with a divider and a Kenyi on the other side. How long are they "pregnant" before they lay eggs? I had them together as juveniles and then seperated after lots of fighting about a month after getting the OB Peacock. Had the Kenyi for about 2 months before that. Please Help sorry for the long post.

Peacocks and many other african cichlids are mouth brooders. The female takes the eggs in her mouth after laying them for fertilization and incubation. She will hold them from 21-30 days and will spit free swimming fry about 1/8" long. She will fast during this period and not eat so there's nothing to worry about there, she's not sick.

You have done a good thing by separating her. What you do next depends on what you want to do with the fry. Can you guarantee that she bred with a male of her own species? Was there a male OB Peacock in the tank with her? If she has NOT bred with her own species then the fry will be hybrids and you should take measures to ensure they don't get out into the community. Don't sell them and don't give them away. Some folks use hybrid fry as food for their other cichlids.

Congrats and Welcome to the forums.

Actually the only other fish in the tank is a kennyi and like i said they were only together about 2 weeks before i divided them. That was when i first got the Peacock, I had the Kenny for about a month and a half before that. Just think its weird they breeded so early they both were only like 1.5"-2". Oh well i have more fish on the way lol

Also well it hurt the fish with the rock in there mouth with the eggs? And what about the eggs that fell out when I tried to get the rock out. Of course I didn't know that she had eggs in her mouth when I tried to get the rock out. Thanks

Dont worry about the rock in her mouth shell spit it out eventually. If she didnt pic the eggs back up then forget them, Chances are your Kenyi made a snack outta them. If the tank is a 15 gallon tank. Hold off on adding more fish. The tank is way too small for those fish( at adult size). You'll eventually end up with one fish killing all the rest for territory. Good luck

They are both about 2" right now and i am in the process of getting a 55 gallon and using the 15 for the fry. Right now they are divided off from each other cause of fighting which may have been cause of her being "pregnant" so they should be alright for about a month til i get it up and running.

yay! were gunna have little babies!! If you want you can throw the Kenyi in my tank while you look for another tank or whatnot. ( we live( well i basically do) in the same house, for those who are wondering)
    Wohoooo!! figures, i want fry, and you get them! haha
    1 yellow lab
    2 Kenyi
    29gl

I didn't think a Kenyi would breed with a peacock. Sometimes females lay eggs and carry them unfertilized without a male present. That could be the case as well.
    Two mbuna tanks (a 180G and a 75G).

Do they fertilize the eggs before they lay them? If so how long after they are fertilized do they lay them? If they are unfertilized eggs then how long til she spits them out? Would you be able to tell the difference between a fertilized and unfertilized egg?? Thank and sorry for all the questions.

No need to apologize for the questions, we are glad to help. The eggs are fetilized by the male right after the female picks up the eggs. Males have egg spots so the female will try to pick up the "fake eggs". When she tries to get the eggs of the males tail he will fertilize the eggs. You cant tell the diff between fertilized and unfertilized eggs. Especially in Africans that are mouth brooders. Give her time and wait to see if the eggs become little fry. If they are unfertilized she'll probably eat them. Good Luck

well then they are probably not fertilized cause she is on her own side the tank with the tank divider and was the whole time she had eggs and wasn't eating. Ah well thanks guys
    50 Gallon Mbuna Tank
    1-Male Kenyi
    2-Female Kenyi
    1-Male Electric Yellow Lab
    1-Female Electric Yellow Lab

You realy dont know if their fertilized. They are fertilized as she lays them. Usually 1 or 2 at a time. Just because shes seperated now, doesnt mean they werent fertilized. only time will tell.

Well they have been seperated for like 2 months now cause they like to fight. Is still possible then? Can he fertilize them through the divider maybe? Thanks for all the help.
    50 Gallon Mbuna Tank
    1-Male Kenyi
    2-Female Kenyi

Well she must of eat the eggs or spit cause today only like 4 days after holding she chowed down on some food. She was so excited to receive food again. Lol well i'm just happy she is healthy still.
    50 Gallon Mbuna Tank
    1-Male Kenyi
    2-Female Kenyi

I once had a single 2-inch socolofi in a 5 gallon by itself, and it held its unfertilized eggs for about three weeks.
    Two mbuna tanks (a 180G and a 75G).