Thread: another office tank question

Default another office tank question

I have been thinking about and planning to put either a 55 or 75 gallon tank in my office (but that's another thread). While looking at some things we are doing to spruce up the public areas of the office, I realized that we have the perfect location for a 6-ft tank in the reception area (it formerly housed an aviary). I like the idea of mbuna (I have a 180-gallon mbuna tank at home): nice color, loads of fish, etc. Before I get more serious about planning this, does anyone have any recommendations for a reception area tank of this size? I have absolutely no experience with peacocks or haps...my tanks at home are limited to mbuna, vics and the rest are CA/SA. If I go with mbuna, one plus will be that I'll be able to keep some species that I can't keep at home (there's only so much space, even in a 180 ).

Thanks for any advice.

David
    Luckiest guy on the planet.

Advice:
    For an office tank that you are maintaining stick with what you know.
    The photocontest, like everything else is behind schedule. You get some links back today.

That makes great sense. I've been thinking about the maintenance part of it, as far as water changes, filter maintenance, water testing, etc., but hadn't carried through to thinking about the fish in the same way. Last thing I would want is a tank full of dead fish for the clients to look at...or sick fish.

I really would like for it to have the look of my tank at home, on which I splurged and installed one of those 3-D styro backgrounds. Black rocks with a little algae coat looks natural, not like I've been neglecting to scrape algae. I'll have to give some thought to that, though...
    Luckiest guy on the planet.

I don't think nice green algae is bad especially not for Mbuna.

And the dead fish side of it was what I was thinking in my earlier responce. Though every fish is different.
    The photocontest, like everything else is behind schedule. You get some links back today.

I don't think there would be an issue mixing peacocks and haps with you mbuna. I have that same mixture in my 120 with no problems. They all need basically the same treatment. My tank has been up and running like this for over 4 yrs without any problems or difficult maitanence. Bringing in peacocks and haps gives you a chance to add colors, body shapes, and personality you don't have in a strickly mbuna tank. (IMHO)

Agreed. Ensure that haps have size advantage.
    highplainsdrifter
    --------------------

I'm happy you're happy, but in the place where the toilet paper's supposed to be, there's this shelf with three sea shells on it.- John Spartan

Potential dietary concerns though.... The haps may be okay on a more vegi based diet.