Thread: Severum varities?

Default Severum varities?

Hi, I'm new to the forum, but I have a question about what colors severums are sold in. I know the green and the gold. My LFS told me they had some in stock somewhat of a red shoulder. Anyone heard of any other colors, or could this be something else? Can there be hybrids of sevs? Thanks for the help. I don't want to buy the wrong type.

common severums (Heros severus) are available in gold and green. There is also a pretty common turquoise severum but I read somewhere this was a separate species. Can't remember for sure on the turquoise though.

The one your lfs is talking about with the red shoulder is most likely Heros sp. 'Rotkeil'. http://www.tangledupincichlids.com/images/rotkeil7.jpg

This is another Heros species that has become more and more common recently.
    To find breeders in your area, check out the Aquatic Life Breeder Directory

Also, check out Bid4Pets.com, a new site with auctions for pets of all types.

For pics of my fish, click on the "Website" button at the top of this post. :) *updated 03-04-05*

Moved to species forum.
    Department of redundancy department

Actually, common Severums are not Heros severus. Heros severus is a mouthbrooder that has just recently been brought back into the hobby in limited numbers. Heros appendiculatus is known as the Turquoise Severum. There are a number of other species, none of which you will find unless you buy from a breeder or importer.

I'm sad to say that the 'Severum' is in most cases a menagerie of species.

Originally posted by Rex Karr
    Actually, common Severums are not Heros severus. Heros severus is a mouthbrooder that has just recently been brought back into the hobby in limited numbers. Heros appendiculatus is known as the Turquoise Severum. There are a number of other species, none of which you will find unless you buy from a breeder or importer.

I'm sad to say that the 'Severum' is in most cases a menagerie of species.

Really I knew that many cichlids we see are really a "menagerie of species" but didn't realize severums fell in this list.
    To find breeders in your area, check out the Aquatic Life Breeder Directory

Also, check out Bid4Pets.com, a new site with auctions for pets of all types.

For pics of my fish, click on the "Website" button at the top of this post. :) *updated 03-04-05*