Thread: assorted cichlids. what species are they?

Question assorted cichlids. what species are they?

i am so happy. i got a 10 gallon tank for christmas from my mom. and she also got me some fish, i wanna know wat are the species : 1. the yellow cichlid with black and white horizontal stripes. 2. the yellow cichlid with a black dorsal fin 3. blue cichlid with black vertical stripes 4. and a solid orange cichlid. 5. the other 2 are green terrors but they seem to all get along fine right now
    2 green terrors
    2 electric yellow labrids
    2 auritius
    1 blue kenyi
    1 oscar (7 inches long)
    1 red tail amazon catfish

Default ...

It is easier with a picture of each if possible.

I'll take a stab at #2 being an electric yello w Labido or (Labidochromis caeruleus)

There's a pic on the following page:
    electric yellow

As for the rest, I'm just not good enough, there are sites with listings of fish and pictures that may help, such as:

another forum

Try thier profiles and begin digging, may just find something else you want ;)
    The photocontest, like everything else is behind schedule. You get some links back today.

Default Re: assorted cichlids. what species are they?

Originally posted by cHARLENE
    i am so happy. i got a 10 gallon tank for christmas from my mom. and she also got me some fish, i wanna know wat are the species : 1. the yellow cichlid with black and white horizontal stripes. 2. the yellow cichlid with a black dorsal fin 3. blue cichlid with black vertical stripes 4. and a solid orange cichlid. 5. the other 2 are green terrors but they seem to all get along fine right now
    Just guesses without seeing pictures:
    1. Melanochromis auratus (satan with fins)
    2. Labidochromis caeruleus (electric yellow)
    3. Maylandia lombardoi (kenyi) or Pseudotropheus demasoni
    4. Maylandia estherae (red zebra)

I do hate to give bad news, but I wouldn't be much of a fish keeper if I didn't warn you that your collection has no chance of long term success in a 10g tank. Even if you didn't have the green terrors in the mix, you'd have trouble keeping the rest of them together long term in less than a 55g. It might work in a 29g for a year or so, but you have several very aggressive fish on your list. If you got the fish and the tank at the same time, you'll also be dealing with cycling soon too. That's when the fish's waste starts to poison the water faster than the filter can balance the toxins. You'll need to do huge water changes daily to keep them healthy.

If you can, I'd take them all back to the store and try something that is more suited for a 10g tank. Like a single convict or a pair of shell dwelling cichlids like brevis or multifasciatus. Maybe just a simple small community tank for that matter with peaceful fish that can handle the close quarters without getting aggressive with each other.
    Ask me about my Devil Doc.

The Oklahoma City Aquarium Club

yeah, they are getting along now because they are babies. that tank has about a .0000000001% chance of success for longer than 6 months at the longest.

sorry to be the bringer of bad news as well, but it's the truth :/
    Visit my site for updated pet list and pictures!
    http://www.sitekreator.com/punkypuffer/index.html

okay, thanks for the advise. and yea they do seem to start mouth locking now.
    2 green terrors
    2 electric yellow labrids
    2 auritius
    1 blue kenyi
    1 oscar (7 inches long)
    1 red tail amazon catfish