Thread: south american dragonfish?

Question south american dragonfish?

Hello. Well I seem to have a problem finding out some information on this type of fish. All that I have found out is that people call the Arawona "dragonfish" but thats not what I'm looking for. This fish has an eel shape body and an evil looking head. The name in the LFS is South American Dragonfish. Can someone please help me!?

http://habitatnews.nus.edu.sg/guideb...h/text/201.htm
    try google searching it, theres alot more there than just this site, only took me 15 seconds to find. also the best way to find info on ANY fish is probebly www.fishbase.com you can spend hours there finding fish youve never heard of or seen and info you never knew about your own fish. IF your thinking of keeping an arowana or saratoga PLEASE be sure your tank is big enough (being 150gal plus minimum)
    MY GALLERY BELOW

http://www.cichlidgallery.com/agez-240gal-american-tank

TOM- "I've got a Ford Maverick. Original. Wanna go for some carrot juice?"

seedy: lol...shrooms tast like styrofoam...
    mattV: you've eaten styrofoam??

Agez: what do you eat? (talking to toms bot)
    CIHCLID: CICHLID eats patterns.

MattV- "dhali's not dead. just out of focus."

heyguy74: Also, when dealing with larger fish that 1 inch of fish per gallon goes out the window. You cant have a 24" inch fish in a 24 gallon tank. Good luck.

violet goby is probably what you're after.
    one fish, two fish, red fish, blue fish...omigod!! a whole lotta fish!!(mbuna tank)

"Ya shark-toothed salmon! Ya hammer-headed halibut!"--Yosemite Sam

"Ah hates dragons. Dragons is so dumb!--Yosemite Sam

yes, they are best kept in brackish conditions
    Visit my site for updated pet list and pictures!
    http://www.sitekreator.com/punkypuffer/index.html

Is this what you're looking for? I think is what SGM was referring to or something similar, (am I right SGM).

Are we in the ballpark maxxis???
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by barramundi; 11-22-2004 at 06:49 PM.
    `..`...`.><((((>

Another pic...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    `..`...`.><((((>

yup, that's it.
    one fish, two fish, red fish, blue fish...omigod!! a whole lotta fish!!(mbuna tank)

"Ya shark-toothed salmon! Ya hammer-headed halibut!"--Yosemite Sam

"Ah hates dragons. Dragons is so dumb!--Yosemite Sam

yea i saw one in my lfs to day also hmmm was called a dragon fish so i whent on google and Gobioides broussonetti is the sic name also some comon names are dragon eel, violet goby, and Eel Gobies Dragon Gobies, also known as Violet Gobies, Eel Gobies and Dragon fish.

here i got this on the net

I had heard about these strange fish long before I ever saw a living one, all I had to go off were a few blurry photos which gave me an idea about their appearance but they still remained as a little mystery in my mind. I even saw their name on a tank in a fish shop only to find they had all been sold before I had got there.
    When I eventually saw them for the first time I remember my first thought was "do they have eyes" despite their striking appearance their eyes are so tiny it is the thing which stands out the most, to me at least. Because of the size of their eyes I doubt they will see much more than the difference between light and dark and they probably don't rely to much on sight when going about their daily lives.
    The two which I bought were approximately three inches in length and having spoken to someone else who had kept them who had assured me that they were peaceful contrary to what I had read in books about them I put them in a 24 x 12 x 12 tank with just a sponge filter which was already matured and heater. The only decor was a sandy substrate a few pebbles and some Vallis. Initially they were very shy and huddled together in one corner of the tank only very rarely venturing out.
    In order to make the tank appear more lively and to help settle the Gobies I added a trio of Sailfin Mollies to their tank and this seemed to help reassure them because they became much more bold and began to appear more often and for longer.
    The two that I have in my care have grown quite quickly and are now probably in the region of about 9 or 10 inches in length, they also keep well away from each other, if they accidentally meet and bump into each other they both quickly back off, again this illustrates their very limited eyesight quite well. They have remained quite healthy in the conditions laid out bellow and seem to be thriving.
    The photo below in the conditions section shows one of the Gobies with a small 1.25 inch Sailfin Molly fry just above it, if it wanted to the Goby could easily swallow the small fish but they never showed any interest in them what so ever.

Wild Habitat
    River mouths, estuaries, salt marshes even the ocean down to 100ft deep. Southern USA and S America.

Size.
    Usually up to 15 inches but reportedly up to 24 inches in the wild. Captive specimens probably much less. The maximum recorded weight is 311gms (11 oz). It is the largest Goby in the Caribbean and the only one with the elongated shape.

Social Behaviour
    Very peaceful and even shy, but they do become a little territorial at feeding time and will defend there own small feeding space but for the rest of the time other fish are ignored. The Sailfin Mollies which are kept as dither fish with mine gave birth in the tank, the fry were left in the tank simply because there was no where else to put them. The Gobies completely ignored the fry and none were lost, which lays to rest any rumours about the Gobies being predatory.
    They spend almost all their time on the floor of the aquarium either hiding or looking for food. They almost never swim out in mid water so they rarely meet any other fish which are kept with them which inhabit mid or top regions of the tank.

Conditions.
    Temp - 73 to 77 F, 23 to 25 C
    pH - 7.6 to 8.4.
    GH - 12 to 35.
    Salt - One level tablespoon per Imperial gall (4.5 litres). Use marine salt not plain salt, marine salt doesn't have any potentially harmful additives but it does have useful buffers added to it.

Dragon Gobies are true brackish water fish. They may enter fresh water occasionally but they live in brackish water and that is how they should be maintained if they are to thrive. Most plants won't live in water containing salt but I have found that Giant Vallis not only survives but actually grows quite well in such conditions. Being quite shy they like to hide in caves but the caves need to be quite small because they seem to prefer tight fitting places and a large open cave on full view will simply be ignored.

Feeding.
    Despite their large mouths and aggressive appearance they seem to prefer very small food particles. I had read that they would eat smaller fish and I offered them some pieces of Lance fish which they ignored. They will eat Bloodworms, Cyclops, Tubifex worms, Brine shrimps, Daphnia and any other similar food. They will also eat Algae wafers, Algae, and small sinking pellets of fish food.
    When mine were offered Cyclops which are very small crustaceans they would use there huge mouths to suck in large amounts of water and pump it out through their gills. I have observed several times that as soon as they sense the presence of Cyclops they begin "panting" very heavily and the Cyclops can be clearly seen entering their mouths with the water. I can only assume that they are filter feeding. They have also learnt that they can browse of the sponge filter after Cyclops have been fed to them to get any that were missed. As shown in the film clip below.
    Success is not final, failure is not fatal it is the courage to continue that counts

Default south american dragon

yeah i had problems finding out about these guys till i found this forum.
    they are a pretty interesting fish mine is about 6 or so inches long and is very active. i have him with a clown knife, ghost knife, tiger oscar, and an asian needle gar. they all seem to get along pretty well.
    mine never really hides he is about one of the most bold in the tank always swimming and sucking up gravel. they most definately filter feed but i have seen mine eat left over scraps of goldfish. he is basically the vacume cleaner of the tank but he is always digging up my damn live plants.
    i dont add any salt too my water and it is definately not braccish but he seems do be living very healthy.