PDA

View Full Version : Oscar Knocking Herself Out?

gterror
11-10-2004, 10:19 AM
I woke this morning to my oscar trying to jump out of the tank and i can hear her lifting the glass lid. She has done this many times before and I have gone to check on her after she does it, and she just floats at the surface for a minute or two....Is she knocking herself out, and is there anyway I can get her to stop this!?

Rudy
11-10-2004, 11:44 AM
I would say she is probably screwing with ya. She could be stressed out, by Oscars have a funny way of getting your attention. I had a midas that used to do that. One day though it worked so watch it. I have also had a fish hit the glass lid and moved it and it fell into the tank, didn't break, but easily could of. . Maybe tape the lid to prevent her from doing any significant damage.

cichgirl
11-10-2004, 12:12 PM
What kind of hood do you have? Mine is glass and the oscars will jump for anything they see including water droplets. Sometimes it seems it's just for the fun of it. I have one that stopped jumping immediately after he learned that jumping out of the tank isn't as fun as he thought it would be. He got himself a good case of rugburn and was lucky that I was home when it happened. He seems to have learned his lesson and stopped jumping. The others have not. Is there anything in the tank for your oscar to play with and/or push around? Good sized rocks are a good toy (as long as she can't pick it up), as well as floating bio-balls & plants (to push around & rearrange). They do seem to get bored if there's nothing better to do.

gterror
11-10-2004, 01:18 PM
Yea i have a glass lid as well...I did put in a small tupperware filled with gravel so it sunk, but she didnt seem to interested in it, and the plec hated it...kept smacking it with his tail because it dropped into one of his favorite spots...what kind of toys do you think she will enjoy? I've heard of having a ping pong ball floating to push around, so small stuff sinking, which she doesnt seem to like...

agez
11-10-2004, 11:38 PM
bio balls! oscars love the floating grey ones!!!! stick abit of frozen beefheart or worm in the gaps at first to gain your pets interest, then youll never need to again, shell ALWAYS be playing with it like a little fur seal and a beach ball....mine do...its worth a go. also suspended hoops big enough for her to EASILY swim through without sratching herself are fun to watch...n they seem to like them...their SOOOOO smart!

RedParrotBubbles85
11-11-2004, 12:01 AM
sounds like what min always do. expect i have a plastic lid so when they hit it their heads get all cut up. maybe i'll also try to put some "toys" in there to gett their attention.