View Full Version : Bleaching rocks to remove the colored dye from medications??

01-18-2003, 07:15 PM
Some of my favorite rocks have all but turned bluish-green due to various liquid ick medicines. Someone told me that if you soak the rocks in a tub of pure bleach for a few days and then rinse off throughly and let them dry in the sun for a few more days that it would remove all the discoloration and would not pose any threat to the tank. To me this sounds extremely dangerous. I mean common sense would tell me to associate the dangers of washing them off with bleach with washing them off with Soap!!! :shock: Is this 101% safe? Besides wouldn't the bleach also remove the natural brown color from the rocks as well?

I also had an expensive peice of bogwood in there as well, but I see no discoloration on that. And even if there was, you sure wouldn't bleach wood right? Because it's absorbant?

Please help

01-23-2003, 03:39 PM
it doesnt sound very safe. but if you soaked the rocks in water for a long time it might get all the bleach off.

i wouldnt risk it though youd be better off just getting different rocks. :?

01-23-2003, 03:51 PM
Bleaching rocks is potentially dangerous, but most of the Texas Holey Rock you see in African cichlid tanks has been bleached to make it such a pure white color. You can soak your rocks in a bucket of pure bleach for a few days, scrubbing them if you find it necessary. Then rinse them thoroughly. The dishwasher is a great way to rinse off aquarium rocks, just don't add any soap. Then soak them in a bucket of clean water several days. I would add a bunch of chlorine remover to the bucket of water. Remember, bleach is largely concentrated chlorine, and not made up of surfactants like soap is. The chlorine remover should help neutralize any leftover chlorine remnants. That being said, it may still be a good idea to dry them in the sun a few days to evaporate any chlorine still in the rocks. I am definetely being over cautious, but I try to be when it comes to the health of my fish. Good luck in whatever you try to do.

01-23-2003, 08:53 PM
It's not like I can't boil them and put them back in. The're just all green and ugly looking. Im just surprised it didn't do anything to my bogwood. Oh well, I guess I'll either just live with them or ditch them. Thanks for the advice. I was kinda scared to that myself..