PDA

View Full Version : one good reason for clear water

fish speaker
11-07-2004, 09:44 PM
My 20-gallon tank isn't a cichlid tank, but it is between 2 that are...it just housed 4 paradise fish, a couple of zebras and 3 cory cats. The water had a nice algae bloom, and I had not be in too much of a hurry to clear it (well, I had tried, but had finally decided that it would have to wait the arrival of a UV sterilizer, which I have used very successfully on my 90-gallon). Here's the lesson I have learned:

Even if the fish don't mind green water, if it is green enough it will prevent you from being able to keep track of your fish.

When I got home today from my daughter's weekend soccer tournament, the water had cleared enough to do a quick head-count...and I only came up with 2 paradise fish. Ordinarily, they never really strayed...acting almost like a pack of wolves...so I was concerned. I also remembered that one had once "hidden" behind a ornament that is really too close to the rear glass for him to hid behind. Looking back there, I could see 2 pale forms. The first one I pulled out used to be one of the missing fish. The second was the other, but he isn't dead yet...although I don't expect him to pull through. Amazingly, the water is only registering a very small ammonia spike, at about 1 ppm. I have no idea if there was anything that caused them to go back there, or if it was just a game of hide-and-seek gone terribly wrong.

Maybe this will be enough to get me to get rid of the ornament, even though I really do like it (and my rubber-lipped pleco loves it). Oh well...

punkypuffer
11-07-2004, 11:00 PM
the "green water" usually isn't a sign of high ammonia, its a sign of high nitrate or possibly nitrite, or just excess nutrients in general in the water

fish speaker
11-08-2004, 05:48 AM
...or leaving the lights on for excessive amounts of time each day :)

I was surprised at the relatively low ammonia levels since there had been a dead fish decomposing in there. Maybe it just hadn't been dead for long.

As of this morning, the other one that had been behind the ornament is doing a good job of playing dead...he waits until a net approaches before he moves.