PDA

View Full Version : under gravel jets

sponger_2
11-04-2004, 01:06 PM
under gravel jets. how many use them? how many like them? and i have a different spin on them. what if instead of big jets for the water to shoot out, you take pvc ru it on the inside perimeter of the tank and just drill small holes at an angle of 45 to the substrate. do you think that would work better?

Glaive
11-05-2004, 02:02 AM
honestly sounds like a very annoying fluid dynamics question involving what size and frequency to make the holes for teh ammount of water you'd be pushing, may also be confusing for the fish to have the current coming from all sizes

jonah
11-05-2004, 05:31 AM
Originally posted by sponger_2
under gravel jets. how many use them? how many like them? and i have a different spin on them. what if instead of big jets for the water to shoot out, you take pvc ru it on the inside perimeter of the tank and just drill small holes at an angle of 45 to the substrate. do you think that would work better?

If I'm understanding you right, the water flow wold really just be coming from one direction, just a wider flow. I don't think it would matter anyway. The flow in the wild isn't just a steady stream coming from one outlet like most tanks have.

I'm moving this to Equipment.

chc
11-06-2004, 10:45 AM
IMO, they are not worth the trouble. I know some swear by them, but I find a sand substrate with a fairly good flow from filters will stay very clean (or at least have one dead spot that can be vacuumed every week or two).

Gravel tends to collect waste, and the jets lessen that somewhat but not as good as with the sand approach.

BTW, I don't use much sand.... 1/2" TO 1".

barramundi
11-07-2004, 08:13 PM
I made my own for my bristlenose breeding tank, to keep the poop moving to the filter intake. Works well. I also have a powerfilter to keep the water moving well, bristlenose are poop factories! That's with a gravel substrate. I use an internal powerfilter that feeds into the pvc pipe instead.