PDA

View Full Version : tank mates

RaIn On Me
11-02-2004, 06:33 PM
4x2x2 tank

i was thinking of diffewrent combos for a aggressive tank...and i know all of em arent aggressive...but could u make a good combo of fish semi and agressive fish that i could keep in this tank from this list?

1.albino oscar
2.tiger oscar
3.zebra oscar
4.pink convict
5.black convict
6.green terror
7.red devil
8.green texas
9.texas
10.wolf
11.peacock
12.gold severum
13.severum
14.firemouth
15.salvini

thanx...

punkypuffer
11-02-2004, 07:27 PM
in a 55 gallon, the only fish that will not get too big for it are the convicts, firemouths, and salvini. if you aren't planning on a bigger tank, then i wouldn't recommend any of the others

RaIn On Me
11-02-2004, 07:29 PM
i have a 120 gallon...4x2x2

Rex Karr
11-03-2004, 12:59 PM
1.albino oscar }
2.tiger oscar } Same fish
3.zebra oscar }

4.pink convict } Same fish
5.black convict }

6.green terror

7.red devil } Much to aggressive for a community in all but the largest tanks.

8.green texas } May as well be the same fish.
9.texas }

10.wolf } Wolf Cichlid? As in Dovii? Not a chance.

11.peacock } As in in Peacock bass? Not a chance. Or did you mean African Peacocks? it doesn't matter, not a chance.

12.gold severum } Same fish
13.severum }

14.firemouth

15.salvini } generally to aggressive

So now that we got that much taken care of we can make a new list.

1. oscar (any variety)
2. Convict (any variety
3. green terror
4. Texas cichlid (either species, you probably won't be able to ID which species it is when you buy it)
5. Severum (any type)
6. Firemouth

You could probably get away with any combination of those (given sufficient space.) I would recommend 2 Oscars a Severum and 2 Firemouths. Your tank has a great foot print and that group of fish should work out well. But these fish are rather unpredictable and can be quite aggressive, so be prepared to possibly remove (or replace) a fish later on.

punkypuffer
11-03-2004, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by RaIn On Me
i have a 120 gallon...4x2x2

ah... my bad! i guess i see 4ft and automatically think 55. :drink:

RaIn On Me
11-03-2004, 06:57 PM
yea its ok...no worries...i just need some combos...plz more help...ur post was great rex karr...thanx...but only five fish in a 120 wouldnt it be boring

RaIn On Me
11-03-2004, 06:58 PM
how come a peacock bass or dovii wouldnt be good? they get to big?

RaIn On Me
11-03-2004, 06:58 PM
u think i could sneak a red devil in...sorry for the posts to lazy to edit

bevoman
11-03-2004, 07:08 PM
All three would be way too aggressive to be in a community tank that size.

RaIn On Me
11-03-2004, 07:25 PM
o...sux..lol...but 5 fish only *sigh*

bevoman
11-03-2004, 08:37 PM
You'll get plenty of enjoyment out of the right mix of 5 fish. Give it a shot, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

RaIn On Me
11-03-2004, 08:51 PM
do u think americans are better then malawis?

agez
11-04-2004, 03:06 AM
dude i have 2 or three 4's here n there n am now recieving a new 8X2X2 in the next week or so, i ONLY keep americans, oh n my girls bloody discus- (at least their mad strains). stay american man- they rock as pets....
heres my picks for your 120:
1X oscar (a MUST for any beginer, watch your hands at feeding time!)
1X texas (fun to watch good colour)
1X chocolate tempralis (peace keeper, shape n colour very different)
1X jack dempsey male only (need i say anything?)
that'lll about do ya! firemouth would be killed by the texas or oscar (eventually) but will last a few months or so...... convicts are rats with fins and i wish them apon noone lol!, and rd's are too advanced n mean for this tank....and dovii's, (wolfs) well their okay for friendly neighbourhood cichlid eaters that is- (that means a dovii will eat a devil or jag even for that matter, it happened to me!)
or you could suck up the small numbers n just keep a fat ass male jag with MAYBE a tex in the other corner far far away- IF they grow up together JAGS ROCK!!!!im out

RaIn On Me
11-04-2004, 02:00 PM
lol nice post...im still thinkin ...malawis are expensive as hell but i can overstick my tank big time....but americans are so nice to...i cant make my mind up

Rex Karr
11-05-2004, 12:22 AM
Peacock bass reach sizes in excess of 24". Obviously a 120g aquarium can't handle that. Dovii will also reach that size are are very aggressive which would mean no tankmates even in a tank twice the size of yours.

Sure you could sneak a Red Devil in there, but the other fish would find out eventually. Seriously though, a Red Devil would most likely kill the mojority of your fish in a tank that size.

You say "only five fish?", but keep in mind that your talking about fish that are 6-14". Two Oscars and a couple other cichlids will fill that tank out in no time.

Americans or Malawi's? If you want a few large impressive "tankbusters" that will be act intelligent and become real pets, then Americans are a good choice. If your after a very buisy colorful tank and want a lot of movement then look into the Malawi's.

Good luck.

cichgirl
11-05-2004, 07:24 AM
amen, rex. 5 intelligent, big fish are a lot of fun. The tank will not seem empty to you when they grow. Hey, if you want more fish while yours grow up get a big school of giant danios. They won't last long - when these fish grow up the danios will be quick snacks for them but they will give you the "movement" until your cichlids get up to size.

Personally, I would recommend 2 oscars, a jack dempsey (male) and either a texas or a green terror & some firemouths or convicts.

RaIn On Me
11-05-2004, 04:48 PM
alrite well heres the list u guys suggested to me

1. texas or green texas...(can i sneak 2)?
2. oscars of ne kind
3. firemouths
4. convicts
5. jack demspey
6. green terror
7. chocolate
8. severum

i guess those are the fish all of u suggested...wanna help me narrow it down a bit from that list?

Rex Karr
11-05-2004, 10:10 PM
1 Oscar (12-14"), 1 Chocolate (10-12"), and 3 Severums could make a very nice tank.

cich1
11-07-2004, 11:03 AM
i like the suggestion REX made i think that would be a cool tank:)

agez
11-07-2004, 08:56 PM
1choc tempralis 1oscar 1 jd male 1tex and MAYBE 1 terror (cons and firemouths are all talk n will eventually die, not that the cons dont deserve it!) and sevs arnt colourful nor do they move enough to warrent their space in a tank this size.

Rex Karr
11-09-2004, 03:11 PM
You would be asking for trouble trying to fit a Texas and a Green Terror into that mix.

Agez, your second comment is confusing me. Maybe you've never actually kept a Severum? They are definantly colorful

http://kingsoftheaquarium.com/cichlids/severummale3.jpg

http://kingsoftheaquarium.com/cichlids/severummale4.jpg

agez
11-10-2004, 11:25 PM
great looking fish! we dont have em like that here, either pale pink/orange or grey/dark green. but still a big sluggish fish from what ive had-yes ive kept them rex....pls dont be offended rex dude- im an jag/oscar man so im sure you can tell why i dont choose them over others.... big guapotes for me....oh and the terror had a BIG "MAYBE" beside it....meaning if you HAVE to have too many fish in your tank, as for agression terrors get a bad rap, texas pick on others more than terrors, terrors kill when provoked but otherwise never fight from the ones ive kept....but then again EVERY individual fish is different. BTW there seems to be alot of ppl round this site who keep too many fish in small 50's 55's and 75's, maybe we could make a post concerning tank size and species requirements for american cichlids as a guide for users??? would probebly answer alot of questions for some, n even save a few fish from deformities n stress. thanks again, adrian