PDA

View Full Version : Shimming a tank

Ryap P White
10-29-2004, 11:41 AM
I just filled the 170 g tank that I have been getting advice about on this forum. Now I have another problem. It is not level. The water pours into one over flow but trickles into the other. There is a clear slant to the water line at the top of the tank.

I am looking for some advice on how to shim it up. Should I shim the tank or the stand. I am thinking that the stand would be easier.

I think that i should use standard door shims.

Any input on the subject would be greatly appreciated!

NEO_72
10-29-2004, 12:29 PM
I've read that shimming with larger pieces of plywood is preferable. Or whatever else you can rig up. This distributes to load more evenly. If you use door shims, you MIGHT be placing stress on a very few distinct points. I don't know what flooring you have or what your stand is like either....I've faced the same problem. I shimmed with a combination of cardboard(which will compress) and door shims. I used LOTS of shims though, to make an even point of contact. Try a search though - I'm no handyman ;)

Good luck!!

Matt V
10-29-2004, 01:29 PM
they also make shims out of resin that resist warping and don't really compress all that much (since resin products are already pretty compressed in manufacture). you can also drill through them and they won't split like wood shims will.

they have them at home depot for abot 1.20 for 12 or 14 of them.

but like neo said, use lots to distribute the weight as evenly as possible... with a tank that heavy, that would make me very nervous...

Matt V
10-29-2004, 01:50 PM
oh, and i would try to make the stand even rather than the tank.

use the shims to level a piece of plywood or even better, use that stuff (not sure what it's called) but it's very thick and made out of pieces of wood that are compressed together in a machine. this stuff has the advantage, IMO, of not compressing a lot and since it was machine made, it's incredibly flat and level. all you have to do is get to lie level.

again, trying to fill every nook and cranny tightly with the shims to get the most even weight distribution you can. then put the tank on the plywood. you don't want to stress the bottom anymore that necessary and shimming up the tank and not the stand could do just that.