PDA

View Full Version : Got me a Salvini

SuperDave9x19
10-18-2004, 05:32 AM
At least, I am 90% sure. Can't imagine what else it is. Store didn't have a tag up.

I must say, in the first 2 hours in the tank (s)he was quite at home and not "all bunched up hiding under the HOB outflow" like some shy new fish can be. My current fish population is correct in the Sig. When I estimate length it is to the caudal penduncal not including finnage.

He and the Jewel went at it pretty quick tho.

Nice fish eh?

cich1
10-18-2004, 10:48 AM
wow (s)he is a real looker,congrats on the nice pick up:ok:

bevoman
10-18-2004, 07:33 PM
Nice fish.

salty
10-19-2004, 08:17 AM
real nice salv dave, what size tank is he/she in?, sorta looks female but its dorsal fin looks pretty pointy hard to tell. -salty

SuperDave9x19
10-19-2004, 09:06 AM
he is in the tank listed in profile.

I believe it is male. I have read that females have a distinct dorsal spot. this guy doesn't have it.

But I do NOT like to use coloration/patterns to ID sex, since coloration and patterns can have variability.

The top dorsal trails off to the end of the caudal fin. Although I have not specifically read of Salvinis being sexed by Dorsal/anal fin points, I am goiong to go with it.

This guy will not get a female for him as I have read Salvinis can get as mean as the Five-Star General Jewel Cichlid when pairing.

Odd. I am almost seeing flirting with my Jewel as opposed to fighting as i implied in my picture.

salty
10-19-2004, 09:19 AM
my female salv seems to be trying to pair with my male flowerhorn so who knows, also my females fins stop short and shes very colorful much brighter in appearance than your salv, I would lean towards male too.-salty

salty
10-19-2004, 09:21 AM
also,- i think males have a more greenish hue as your salv clearly shows my female is much more yellow.- salty

SuperDave9x19
10-19-2004, 11:22 AM
2 things.

The flash "accentuates" the blue green spangles a bit and washed out the red orange in the belly.

I really haven't gotten him/her really strutting her colors on photo yet. And she is a hider. Her current spot is one I term the "leftover" in the tank. Ima gonna get a few more flowerpots or work on some rockwork.

My kids precious Castle takes up an awful lot of the tank and makes realistic aquascaping kinda tough. The castle used to have Java moss all over it, but my plecos plucked it clean. It's odd looking back at how mossy my castle used to be and how I could never get plecos to survive my tank. Now I have 3 and surely don't need all of them.

salty
10-19-2004, 04:18 PM
So let me get this straight you think its female? o.k., nice male salvini dave.-salty

SuperDave9x19
10-20-2004, 08:54 AM
I think it is male and I know that I had a grammar issue regarding gender confusion in 3rd person singular mode.

In a nutshell. DUH on me. I am talking about being a male and calling it "her"

salty
10-21-2004, 07:40 AM
gotcha, i was just trying to help, it just just seemed at first the you were pretty set on it being femaale from the get go,thats all. Its a nice looking salvini, I've been looking for a male for my female for about 2 months now, very hard to find around here.later-salty.

SuperDave9x19
10-21-2004, 08:21 AM
No offense taken at all. If I sounded kinda terse there, it was not meant as sarcasm. I always figure the safest person to insult on the Internet is ones self.

I am scared to get a Salvini mate based on the aggression discussions.

My tank was nicely balanced with no ripped fins for quite a while and I hope it stays that way. The Nic pair are always courting and digging and maintain a third of the tank as their own with mild tolerance of others until they nose too close to their primary cave or pit.

I added a few ceramic cups with X-Mas decorations as makeshift caves so that there'd be a few new boundaries. I was amazed at how "taken" my Nic Female was with this clean white ceramic. But if the territories move peacefully I may sometime get a mate.

But that would depend on removing my Jack Dempseys. The Jacks are currently there to be the "other pair" of cichlids to displace Nic potential agression. Sure I bought them thinking they were Green Terrors as teeny juvis. And sure they have been identified as likely a long term inbred based on getting them at PetSmart. And yeah they don't seem "Jack Dempsey"ish when my AngelFish stares them down and moves them along. But I like the darn guys, they like me and they were my first "Large Cichlid"

salty
10-21-2004, 09:26 AM
jacks are nice, they are called that for a reason watch out as they get pretty big, I had a 9" male that i rescued from a little salwater tropical store he was in like a ten g. I felt bad for him and had store credit so i took him home i put him in my 65 g. an he was cool until i put in my 8" jag that jack who looked so peaceful kicked the crap outa my jag he eventually died and i sold the jack to a real lfs across town they gladly took him and i believe he went to a 125 g. anyways they are cool fish. I would like a juvi jack oneday. yea, I agree i'd let that 55 settle down a little before addin anything else,take it easy,later-salty

ed
10-22-2004, 12:37 PM
Dave,
Can you post another pic? That salvini looks female to me.

Superman
10-22-2004, 01:06 PM
I have to disagree, I think it's a male. it has a very pointed dorsal fin, but it's kinda hard to tell. But from that pic, I'd definetly say that it's a male.

pgdark19
10-22-2004, 03:29 PM
that salvini looks like a female to me. the pointed dorsal fin doesn't matter. my female salvini has a long trailer on her. females have a dark blotch in the middle of their dorsal fin and have a blotch on their gill plate.

oh, and if you ever get a pair....they'll kill everything else in that tank guaranteed!!!!

SuperDave9x19
10-25-2004, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by pgdark19

oh, and if you ever get a pair....they'll kill everything else in that tank guaranteed!!!!

I figurred that.

Thanx for info.

I was away for 4 days and all my favorite fish are A-OK after a heavy feeding and one Giant Danio head found floating.

Don't sweat over the ID. I figure if I have one, and have no intentions to get 2, it's no biggie.

But of course, discuss to your liking and I will follow it faithfully.

nudder shot:

I have it on BMP but that is a disservice to the owners of the BBS hogging bandwidth.

SuperDave9x19
10-28-2004, 11:56 AM
One thing about Sal that makes me really wonder about future aggression levels is that this guy/gal (I will call it “he” hereafter) can coil the body in the forward strike “S” profile that I have never seen in my Nicaraguans nor my Dempseys. This forward strike profile was prevalent in Kribs (Pelvicachromis? from W. Africa) and Jewel Cichlids. I’ve watched it time and again during pounces on baby guppies or when stealing fry from others’ broods in my tank.

My Jacks and my Nics are too beefy to make the S bend. They can bend in a narrow sweeping arc when courting, but they never coil up into that striking position. Don’t get me wrong. They can burst fast with a flick of the TAIL. But the Jewels that I have had, and now Sal, are clearly in a class by themselves. They use their body more intimately for bursts and can be called ambushers I guess. My JD is POWERFUL and I cannot describe the Nics as other than “blocky”.

But Sal is about ¼ longer than Jewel and twice as much mass. He’s gonna be quite a powerhuse at 5”. Kinetic Energy of a big head butt to the flanks is a big part of non-damaging aggression. It would be nice if he can keep his cool with butts and no teeth.

Has anyone recognized that S-Profile before a strike in Big cichlids? It sounds like something I’d expect out of a Peacock Bass based upon fishing tales I heard of them, and translating that Body shape, maybe the Longer cichlids like the Umbee, Jaguar or Wolf, but IMO not likely to happen in a Red Devil or something of that shape. This paragraph is all speculaion from comments on line and friends, and has no actual personal experience involved except a long history fishing and listed cichlid knowledge above..

ed
11-03-2004, 03:11 PM
Dave, both of your pics seem to be angled a bit from above. Can you post a pic that shows the vent and dorsal fin more? Looks like you also used flash in both pics. Maybe one without? I'm still interested in your fish. :)

SuperDave9x19
11-05-2004, 08:34 AM
with my cheap camera, no flash = grainey crap.

Here's a good one.

ed
11-09-2004, 12:45 PM
still hard to say but i'm going to stick with female; does your salv bother any of your catfish?

SuperDave9x19
11-10-2004, 09:47 AM
I also believe female. When displaying, the vague darkness (as shown in pictures) in the middle of dorsal fin is a distinct spot.

He's Ok with the Catfish, but he is regularly challenging both Jack Dempseys. He has acheived dominance over the Jewel. I saw him beat back by my Crown Ruby once, but I have to figure that it was one lucky hit i saw.

SuperDave9x19
11-11-2004, 12:43 PM
Well, somebody showed Sally who was boss in this tank.

The Salvini has been up meekly holding in the classic "hiding under the HOB outflow position of subservience" and my female Nicaraguan has some small injury (similar to what she occasionally gets tussling with the male, so it may not be related to the Salvini) on a pectoral fin.

It may be tough, but this Salvini asks for trouble more than other fish i have. I wonder who made him cower?

SuperDave9x19
11-17-2004, 10:18 AM
Sally is dead

jennigypsy
11-17-2004, 11:09 AM
oh no.....sorry dave :(
what happened?

punkypuffer
11-17-2004, 01:20 PM
oh man! that's no good :/ sorry dave

SuperDave9x19
11-17-2004, 02:32 PM
WELL, REMEMBER i MENTIONNED HIS SUBSERVIENT POSITION UP BELOW FILTER OUTTAKE?

SORRY CAPSLOCK

Well I netted him and saw he was NOT tore up. but his etes seemed "bulging". I have seen this before due to high waste levels, but it normally attacked all fish in tank. Perhaps the Sal was wild caught?...doubt it tho. Why would he be more sensitive after living large for the previous week.

I proceeded with 3 straight Daily 1/4 - 1/3 water changes.

On the second day, I assummed he was in cave hiding. On day 3 of water changes I decided to hunt for him. He was stuffed dead in the back of my Nics breeding cave. Oddly enough, he was stiff, but had his color and was not tore up.

No other fish in tank effected.

SOB.

ed
11-18-2004, 03:50 PM
Sorry to hear that Dave. I really like your salvini.