PDA

View Full Version : ID request

KenL
10-10-2004, 01:28 AM
Hi everyone,

New user here.
I'm wondering if you can ID a cichlid for me.?

I have had this fish for 4 or 5 years and never realy cared what it was until yesterday.

I know she is a female and I'm fairly sure that she is Neotropical because she just spawned with my Jack Dempsey and now I have about 30 hybrid fry in my tank.

Please excuse the poor quality of the photo. All I have to work with is a cheap cell phone camera.

Here are a few points to go along with the picture.
Her face is slightly elongated with a bottom hinged mouth kind of like what a jaguar cichlid has. The row of markings that run down her midline are always jet black, while the markings above them change with mood or conditions and range from light brown to almost black. She is about 6 inches long.

Thanks in advance for the help!
Ken L.

KenL
10-10-2004, 01:31 AM
Here is another poor quality picture.
She just will not stand still for the camera.

Ken L.

jennigypsy
10-10-2004, 07:15 AM
how big is that fish?

Jason_S
10-10-2004, 07:43 AM
from what I can tell the base body coloration looks like a yellowish or tan color right? if so your fish looks like a freddy...Parachromis friedrichsthalli. It is much too light to be a female jag. Freddy's are close relatives to jaguars, but don't grow as large and are typically not quite as aggressive as a jag. :) http://www.cichlidae.com/articles/a092.php there is a link with information on all the Guapotes...if you scroll down and read the photo captions you'll find pics of a male and female friedrichsthalli. :)

chc
10-10-2004, 09:54 AM
Looks like a female managuense to me. Female freddies, mots, and losellei are yellow with markings.

punkypuffer
10-10-2004, 09:55 AM
my vote is for managuense, they're more commonly found in fish stores so it'd be more likely... but i could be wrong

KenL
10-10-2004, 12:53 PM
Hi everyone,

Rocky (the fish in question) is about 6 inches long, maybe a bit longer.
Spot, my Jack Dempsey, (partly seen in the background of the first picture) is just over 10 inches. That’s why they and a 8-inch common plecostamus are the only fish in my 55 gal. tank.

I looked thru the web page suggested by Jason_S (Thanks!). Rocky’s markings do match those of the Parachromis managuensis but, as noted, her base body color is a kind of tan or beige color.

If the base color is a deciding factor she may be a hybrid. I pulled her out of an “assorted cichlid” tank at the LFS when she was less that an inch long.

Here is a better picture that I took this morning.

Thanks for the help!

Ken L.

Rudy
10-10-2004, 01:16 PM
managuense, no question.

KenL
10-10-2004, 01:28 PM
Thanks everyone!

I think I'll call her a managuense.

Now I just have to figure out how to handle the babies.

Ken L.

Alv
10-10-2004, 03:24 PM
HUH 4-5 years and it's 6". Female jags grow 12" easily something is very wrong.

crazyfishlady
10-10-2004, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by Alv
HUH 4-5 years and it's 6". Female jags grow 12" easily something is very wrong.
She's in a 55 gallon tank with 2 other large fish.

KenL
10-10-2004, 04:07 PM
I'll readly admit that I am not an expert.

During the same period of time my Jack Dempsey has grown to 10 inches. I've been told that is quite respectable for a JD.

Is it possable that she is a hybrid?

What else would you suggest?

Thank you Crazyfishlady!

Ken L.

Geo Blue
10-10-2004, 09:40 PM
It looks like either the El Salvador or Costa Rica form of managuense. Its a definate Managuense though. :-)

Jason_S
10-10-2004, 10:51 PM
your last pic was muuuch better. :) it is definitely a jag, but from the sounds of it she's either a runt or has been stunted because she should be much larger.

how often do you do water changes and what are the other 2 fish and their sizes?