PDA

View Full Version : Quite Air Pump???

FishoPhile J
01-13-2003, 02:59 PM
hey, is there such a thing as a silent air pump? i just got a new filter (hot magnum) to cut back on the noise. it's really quite, but the damn air pump vibrates the whole shelf and makes all kinds of noise. if you know of any way to quite the thing it would be quite helpfull.

Cichlid Jeans
01-13-2003, 03:33 PM
Tank size?

If you're running the Magnum all the time, and if you set the outflow nozzle so that it breaks the surface of the water, you probably don't need separate aeration. Bubbles contribute virtually nothing to the amount of dissolved oxygen in the water, anyway: they simply cause circulation. The Magnum will do that in spades all by itself.

Cichlid Jeans

FishoPhile J
01-13-2003, 08:42 PM
yeah, that's what the guy at the fish store told me... i tryed it, but after the second day, they all looked like they were breathing really hard. i got worried, so i plugged the air pump back in and after about 30min, they all seemed to calm down. mabey i'm just being paranoid... i'll try unplugging it again and see what happens. (btw: it's only a 29 gal, and i have 7 cichlids in it. mabey that has something to do with it?)

pino
01-13-2003, 10:34 PM
From what I've seen people recommend, Rena air pumps are they way to go in terms of performance & quietness.

fOx
01-14-2003, 10:07 AM
Sometimes the most obvious answer is the most elusive.

I had the same problem and solved it by placing a piece of foam under the air pump. The air pump vibrates against the shelf, so by placing the foam in between it absorbs the vibrations and silences the device (the actual air circulation is silent on any pump).

If you put the pump behind the aquarium, you will never see the foam...

hope this helps. Good luck.

fOx

SGypsyMermaid
01-14-2003, 11:20 AM
[quote:78dc075f0f="fOx"]Sometimes the most obvious answer is the most elusive.

I had the same problem and solved it by placing a piece of foam under the air pump. The air pump vibrates against the shelf, so by placing the foam in between it absorbs the vibrations and silences the device (the actual air circulation is silent on any pump).

If you put the pump behind the aquarium, you will never see the foam...

hope this helps. Good luck.

fOx[/quote:78dc075f0f]

i've gotta try that...but i like bubbles, and i especially like the "bloop bloop" sound that bubble-up filters make.

finz
01-14-2003, 12:23 PM
Hee Heee :lol: :lol: (visions of air pumps wrapped in foam and suspended in macrame hangers)