PDA

View Full Version : amazon aquascaping?

gterror
09-29-2004, 12:32 PM
I am looking to recreate the amazon for my 90g oscar tank. Does anyone have ideas or tanks they could show me? I have 2 large pieces of driftwood in there right now, 1 is mopani and there other i'm not sure (i found it at our lagoon, but i washed it for a week!)....there is some fake plants, but a real water lettuce and hyacinth floating on the top for cover (he loves them!). The substrate is just gravel, but what would i need to use to grow real plants? i love our background in the tank (pieces of driftwood and the bottom looks like it's all java moss with some other plants growing through). I'd like to try and do that, is java moss ok for oscars? i know the pleco will love it!

entombed
09-29-2004, 05:42 PM
the problem I had with java moss and big cichlids was they would rip the stuff off all the time and it would end up clogging the intakes of my filters

gterror
09-29-2004, 08:22 PM
oh really!? ok! hehe! i looked at our local aquarium's amazon tank, but because it's so big they have trees, etc groein in it which obviously i cannot recreate :uh: but if anyone had any ideas they would be greatly appreciated! thanks! i will post a pic later of how my tank is setup so far!

gterror
09-29-2004, 09:41 PM
heres a pic of my tank...anything you guys suggest to make this a better tank?

SuperDave9x19
10-04-2004, 01:36 PM
non-white gravel?

cich1
10-04-2004, 05:52 PM
as far as plant substrate i use flourite.i think there is a good possibility of your oscar ripping the plants from the substrate though.some of the silk fake plants look real nice,and then you don't have to worry about enough light,special substrate,or co2 injection.just a thought,good luck:ok:

if you want to change the gravel i use the natural non-colored gravel,i think it would look good in your tank.

salty
10-06-2004, 08:24 AM
yea, I agree with sdave, lose the white gravel get black or brown/white mixed. The white dosn't look that bad but it just dosn't work for an amazon type setup, I was thinking even for my own tank[i like the amazon set up to] of putting a large driftwood tangled branch diagonal across my tank for a real amazon murky type setup. good luck.-salty

gterror
10-06-2004, 09:23 AM
i wanted to get mangrove, but there doesnt seem to be a lot here... the only one i saw was $40 and it was just the "sprout" (i guess!?)...basically it was like one root that was 6 in. long...so that was a no....not alot of large driftwood to buy from the lfs' either...ah well...i'll figure something out!

punkypuffer
10-06-2004, 09:58 AM
you can get driftwood from the creek, just make sure to soak it in a bleach solution for a couple of days and rinse it very very well,then let it dry, and rinse it again. the bleach should kill anthing on it :)

crazyfishlady
10-06-2004, 07:43 PM
My understanding is that mangrove is a brackish/salt water plant. I could be wrong, but if i'm not it will not live long in your freshwater setup.
They are kept cut back to look like "sprouts" so that the roots will grow in the tank, while keeping the top from turning into a tree. Which is what mangroves are.

chc
10-10-2004, 09:56 AM
Originally posted by crazyfishlady
My understanding is that mangrove is a brackish/salt water plant. I could be wrong, but if i'm not it will not live long in your freshwater setup.
They are kept cut back to look like "sprouts" so that the roots will grow in the tank, while keeping the top from turning into a tree. Which is what mangroves are.

There is one species I know of, red mangrove, that will grow in fresh water too. I have several tubers in a tank right now (actually, in the filter).

crazyfishlady
10-10-2004, 03:10 PM
Tahts interesting chc. Where did you get it? I really like to add natural filtration/plants rater than more equipment.

z rock
10-11-2004, 08:53 PM
There's two ways to filter a tank. One is wastewater management technology.
The other is a so called "natural" filtration with plants. "Natural" and big cichlids are not very compatible. Oscars are such messy eater's the gravel will need to be cleaned frequently.

There is no way plants would be able to keep up with the bio-load of a large cichlid. Especially if the plant is ripped up and not growing. It will get consumed by algae.

Mangroves are probably a full sun plant. You would really have to kick the lighting up to grow most anything but jave fern and anubia's that could be tied to a rock.

I've got some of that lucky bamboo stuff stickin out the top of my tank. I've tried the pathos in the past. They both grow a little bit.Probably would do better with more lighting. Neither one would come anywhere near removing the amount of nitrate of a 50% water change.

Most all plants like eating ammonia before nitrate. They have to work harder to convert the nitrate back into ammonia before they can use it.

Luckily the "natural" biotope that's just as likley to be found in the bottom of a river or lake is algae and mud covered rocks, tree stumps and roots.

I've found that boiling the driftwood makes it sink faster and not leak tannins as bad. I think the best driftwood would have been "cured" in the ocean's saltwater.

crazyfishlady
10-12-2004, 12:04 PM
Yeah..... I'm not saying I would replace any of my filtration with plants, or stop doing water changes. I'm sorry I wasn't clear, I have adequate filtration, but you can never have too much. I just have seen that every tank I have ever planted has been healthier. However, I have read that for waste removal, mangroves beat out any other plant. Interesting info about the full sun though. I don't have that kind of light, so I'd have to skip it.

cich1
10-23-2004, 06:09 PM
so what's up gterror,did you get the tank aquascaped like you wanted it.let's see some more pics buddy:D

salty
10-23-2004, 09:15 PM
hell yea, lets see some more pics, I love pics, because i'm no good at doing them. I'm a ****.y photographer, i admit it.-salty

gterror
10-24-2004, 11:07 PM
well i'm no photographer either salty, but i'll try! :) well i switched things around to create a more natural look, and so could add my smaller oscar as well! not sure if it's.."amazon"..but i like it! i have a blue marine light in right now...not sure what to think of it..have to get your advice here! but i will take pics tomorrow!

gterror
10-25-2004, 02:14 PM
ok..so here they are...to actually get the look of the blue light i couldnt use my flash, so some of them are blurry...i did ake ones with the flash as well so you could see clearly!

first off...the awful picture to show the blue....

gterror
10-25-2004, 02:16 PM
a better pic...

gterror
10-25-2004, 02:29 PM
aaaand the fish that live in here...

Occy

gterror
10-25-2004, 02:30 PM
the lil guy at 2.5" (occy is 6")

gterror
10-25-2004, 02:30 PM
and the 7" sailfin plec!

cich1
10-25-2004, 07:25 PM
looks nice gterror:ok:

salty
10-26-2004, 07:55 AM
good pics, nice tank. gterror, you have alot of room in that tank,were you thinking about getting any other fish or are you just keeping it oscars only? -salty

gterror
10-26-2004, 11:54 AM
well i have my 6" and 2.5" oscars in there, as well as a 7" sailfin plec...i absolutely love severums, but i thought with it only being a 90g, might be too cramped? did you have any ideas salty!?

salty
10-27-2004, 01:34 PM
I do have ideas, but they are twisted bad ideas, like putting a jaguar cichlid in there, but I dont want to upset the chill atmosphere of your current setup, it looks good. later-salty.

gterror
10-27-2004, 05:45 PM
thanks salty! well do you think a severum would work? Wasnt sure if it would be too cramped or not adding something else?

salty
10-28-2004, 08:34 AM
gterror, I dont know to much about severums and compatibility with others, but my flower horn is supposed to be trimac, severum, devil ,mixture, I think he looks more trimac than anything, but whatever.... oh yeah, why not add a green terror? later-salty

gterror
10-28-2004, 12:28 PM
well i did have one, hence my name, in the 90g...he had already killed a yellow acara, keyhole cichlid, and firemouth that were smaller than him, so i wanted something that was going to be BIG! So i got my first oscar...they're were all great until the oscar had it's growth spurt and was all of a sudden bigger than my gt...he obviously didnt like that at all and went on a rampage and almost killed the oscar. He's gone now, took him to my LFS basically saying, 'does anyone want this guy?' and told them 'he's a killer!'...He's in a great home, in a 125g I believe with a few other aggressive cichlids...My ol' girl is alot better now (she had scales missing, literally no tail, fins were shredded..). So thats my little story on why I wont get another cichlid with the name "terror" or "devil"!