PDA

View Full Version : UV Sterilizers for Cichlids????

jnorris
01-10-2003, 07:50 PM
I have been pondering getting a UV sterilizer for quite some time. A buck fifty would be better spent on a few Fronts or something else...

My question is, will it actually considered undesirable bacteria and what will happen with the needed bacteria? I am sure it will kill most of both. Does it nuke eveything in the tank?

Will it prevent the (bluesh cloudy water color in my tank) bacteria blooms that seem to happen every so often? If so at what is the cost to beneficial bacteria.

I know this has been discussed before but I never hear the long term results.

I am thinking about running one partially just when I need it. I have a feeling there is a high content of nutrients (Phosphorus, nitrogen, ect ect.) in my tap water so when I do water changes it peaks for a four days (I am pretty sure it's not just crushed coral or sand). Thank you Coors!

During this time The nitrates or Ammonia don't really change much, which I consider a little strange..perhaps the test tube is telling lies again...

Any first hand knowledge or insight would be great....

Should I just go get a really large supply of spring water?...lol
I guess I could just not do water changes as much.....The lazy way out..

Ross
01-15-2003, 10:49 PM
You have good bacteria grows on various surfaces in your tank and filters. The UV sterilizer only kills living things in the water that pass through the steriliver. Some maybe good as well as bad. I ran one on an old tank and I never had any disease problems. I also held all the fish a couple weeks in a separate tank before I put them in the big tank.

Mbuniac
01-23-2003, 09:06 PM
Hi J,
I remember that discussion. They do destroy the free floating beneficial bacteria along with all the bad guys. But, most of your bacteria colonies are one the surfaces inside your tank (filter sponge, substrate,etc). I'm planning on getting one and like your idea of running it part time. I would welcome any brand/model recommendations.
Sam