PDA

View Full Version : Feeding my cichlids

mccannk
01-09-2003, 12:51 PM
I've currently got 4 cichlids in my tank: a tropheus moori, a hap 44, a red top and a PS demasoni. My question is can I find them chopped up vegetables such as zucchini, spinanch, carrots etc and if so do I have to cook it first to soften it up? So far I've been feeding them a cichlid specific floating pellet, some flakes and the occasional brine shrimp.

fOx
01-09-2003, 02:09 PM
If you're going to feed them veggies (many people do this, but I don't because I find it too messy) then you have to boil or steam the veggies first in order to soften them up.

I have tried spinnach, peas and zucchinni and found that my Malawi's don't want anything to do with it... maybe my fish are wierd. I have also heard that others have had great success with this.

Try it out, good luck... for the record, there is nothing wrong with feeding your fish a good pellet food. I keep about five different pellets, and a few flake foods (and for special occaisions Sally's Emerald Entree which they absolutley love) and mix up the food they get regularly. So far no problems...

fOx

mccannk
01-09-2003, 02:19 PM
Thanks for the info f0x. I often considered buying another pellet food for the fish but the Hikari Cichlid Gold seems to be working so far. I wonder what the difference is between that and the Cichlid Complete, the Cichlid Excel and the Cichlid Staple, not much I imagine, just another way to make money. I guess a variety of food does help though from what I've read.

WorldNation
01-10-2003, 01:48 AM
i have had great sucess with veggies in my tank. my fish cant get enopugh of it. Right now i gibve them slices of zucchinni every 3 days, and a have a new slice of lettuce in the tank almost every day. my 2 Kenyi can't get enough of the zucchinni, as soon as i stick it in the eater, they go right for it.

but it all depends on how youre fish were brought up. some recognise the veggies as food, other don't. like that fish at my work(petsmart) hardly eat it at all.

havent tried spinnach or peas yet, i'll try that.

also, you dont need to boil the veggies, that takes out all the nutrients and it'll be pointless to feed it then. thats also why youre water is dirty after you givem the boiled veggies.

Overawed
01-10-2003, 10:36 AM
My Cichs luuuv peas, I give them the baby LeSeur peas and they tear them up. I am looking for more veggies to feed them, as I think it is better for them to eat veggies.

I've heard that Romaine lettuce is good for Cichlids too. I tried regular lettuce and my fish would not touch it.

fOx
01-10-2003, 11:26 AM
Like I said, mine never touch the veggies and I've tried them all. Maybe my fish are weird.
But, my fish love Spirulina algae. I often mix in algae tablets with thier regular food, it really helps to bring out the blue in them. Also they really like Sally's Emerald Entree....

But hey, whatever works!

fOx