PDA

View Full Version : good enough for a 40 ? read D:

red devil _ orgnl
09-12-2004, 10:43 PM
i got a 40 gallon for now for a 4 inch red devil for the first year and im getting a "Cascade 700" and i was wondering if that was good enough for a 40 gal its one of those big tank filters are they bettter than the hang on ones thanks :D

cich1
09-12-2004, 11:08 PM
they are made by penn plax.i don't have any experience with that brand of cannister filter.the ad says it's good for tanks up to 65 gallons,should be fine for a 40 gallon with one cichlid in it.

Rudy
09-13-2004, 08:27 AM
Should not be a problem. I would add an air supply, or better yet a powerhead, or hang on back filter. Only reason is for surface aggitation. You will start to see a film on the top of your water as canisters are not great for above surface water flow.

red devil _ orgnl
09-14-2004, 07:46 PM
thx rudy and if i add a fish in there without it being cycled do i have to change the water every 2 days ? like witht the 10 gallon? or once a week since its bigger and its a small cichlid just asking
how do i maintain a canister filter i never had any experience with it before any tips would help alot thx

Methuse
09-15-2004, 09:31 AM
I wouldn't think you should have to change the water every 2 days unless there's something about your water parameters other than what the fish itself would introduce that would make you want to do that. For the most part myself, I do a 25% water change every week or depending on my schedule a 50% every two. Either way I do a thorough gravel vac every 2 weeks along with a filter flush. Canister filters are pretty straightforward, most of the ones I've seen or heard of people using, have some kind of shutoff valve to prevent the water from spilling down on your floor when you remove the hose coupling from the canister. At that point you can take the canister away and rinse out the filter floss with straight tap water. Sometimes they'll have trays with bio material in them, which you may want to give a brief spritz to, but ultimately that's where a lot of your beneficial bacteria will live so you don't want to agitate it too much with too high a pressure of water. When will the tank be cycled, well normally not until a week or so if you're using previous gravel, filter material. If you're prepared to do daily water quality tests and changes if there is a nasty spike then you could put your fish in in a week or so. Others may disagree...