PDA

View Full Version : Holding Auratus HELP!!!

bgeorge
09-10-2002, 10:26 PM
I have a 40 with a pair of auratus that are holding. I also have a dolphin moori, 2 electic blues, an electric yellow, a bushy nosed pleco and five other cichlids I haven't classified yet. They are a mix of mellow and aggresive. Mom and dad haven't gotten too violent (yet) but I have it on excellent authority (gypsy and my LFS) that they can and probably will.

The only other tank available to me is a 10 with mollys, platys, skirts and a barb.

I don't want mom and dad to tear up my cichlids (or lose too many fry) and I don't want my mellow fish turned into cichlid food. Any suggestions?

bgeorge
09-10-2002, 10:33 PM
Forgot to mention, I have a gravel substrate in the 40, excellent biofiltration, my water is as perfect as I can get it ( I am anal, they say :D ). There are several large plastic plants and a nice porous rock pile. Everyone has lots of room to hide. Everyone eats well (except mom) and has great color, no picked-at fins and mom and dad haven't gotten really territorial yet.

The 10 has an UGF and a TopFin 30, gravel substrate and plastic plants. The mellow fish are all happy and growing. My daughter reported the molly's were having sex while I was out of town. Don't want to mess that up, either.

SGypsyMermaid
09-11-2002, 10:10 AM
i didn't remember that you had the other five cichlids in the tank. it just may be that you have enough of a 'crowd', combined with the rock pile and other hiding places, that you can get away with this. i don't think that you should remove the female, you might upset the delicate balance that you have achieved--if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

sometimes it's very difficult or even impossible to re-introduce a fish into a rift lake community once it has lost it's place in the pecking order, so by removing her, you may create a whole new set of problems. sounds like you should just leave it be--but start trying to figure out where you can put another tank, just in case. you can get used ones, cheap!! not that i'm trying to encourage you to get more tanks, or anything like that...

now you need to post in the 'african cichlid identification' section so that we can figure out what your unknown cichlids are--describe them as fully as possible, and we will try to help you figure out what they are--if you're a digital camera person, then post pics.

bgeorge
09-11-2002, 10:36 AM
Thanks so much :D I feel better now...

jnorris
09-28-2002, 07:25 PM
I am already considering another tank. Perhaps I should be a LFS! HUMM