PDA

View Full Version : took all my africans back

punkypuffer
08-22-2004, 07:05 PM
today i took all the africans from my tanks back to the store.....

a big 7inch frontosa, some other tangs, 4 tropheus, and a few malawi's.

i swear, every time i get africans i keep them for like 3 months and get bored with them and i convert the tank to american.... i'm stocking the african tank with some central and south youngins that are outgrowing the tank they are in

anyone else ever get like this? i just can't stay satisfied with the darn africans!

bevoman
08-22-2004, 08:47 PM
They don't have near as much personality as the New Worlds!

cich1
08-22-2004, 09:10 PM
can't say i've ever done that,never even got as far as buying any african cichlids.whenever i go to the lfs i always gravitate towards the americans i can't help it.it's not that i don't find africans interesting it's just that i would rather keep americans:ok:

Alv
08-23-2004, 01:13 AM
Yep africans suck!

punkypuffer
08-23-2004, 07:18 AM
haha in the store i work at we have like, 1/2 a row of americans and like 2 rows of africans!!!!

that, and we don't get the rare stuff all that often anymore, ya know, we get the oscars, the dempseys, the terrors, and the convicts.....

so i thought what the heck, ill start an african tank, and put a big frontosa in there for that 'big fish personality'.......... didn't work, he hid all the time

oh well, i'll get to see my little new worlds grow up even faster now in their new bigger tank!

tbrodale
08-23-2004, 04:35 PM
I still love my africans...but I ordered some blueberry oscars at the lfs I work at and I am falling in love...dont tell anyone...

cich1
08-24-2004, 06:24 PM
aren't blueberry oscars dyed?

punkypuffer
08-24-2004, 06:33 PM
indeed they are >=(

horrible process............

Rudy
08-24-2004, 06:49 PM
Lets not get into this again.

:)

cich1
08-24-2004, 06:56 PM
Originally posted by Rudy
Lets not get into this again.

:)

:) i wasn't trying to start a debate i just wasn't sure if they were dyed or not.:D sorry.

Rudy
08-24-2004, 07:33 PM
i wasn't trying to start a debate i just wasn't sure if they were dyed or not. sorry.

No problem I know you weren't meaning anything. Just trying to quash any ill discussion before they start.

Rex Karr
08-25-2004, 08:23 AM
I started my aqua hobby with a 55g and some assorted community fish. I think I had Paradise fish, Blue Goramy, A Polypterus, a Synodontis, a few Silverdollars, and a pair of kribs. Then I started learning more about cichlids and decided my convert my 55g and my new 125g into cichlid tanks. At that time I only knew about the basic cichlid species, mostly Africans. In particular I wanted a fish with a nuchal hump, but my LFS guy told me that any cichlids with a nuchal hump would be very expensive. I guess he was talking about adult fish that already had the hump.

So I got talked out of a Midas, after being told that it would be $50-$70. Which was for the better really, because I would have put it into my 55g community :)

Over the next year, I was doing research on Central Americans but at the same time keeping only Africans. Before long I emptied out the 55g and bought a Uro and GT.

Another year or so down the road I set up my 500g, and it became a Central American tank. After than all of my other tanks became grow out tanks, and so now my only African is a Buttikoferi.

thirty2cent
08-25-2004, 09:51 AM
500g!!!!!!!!-what do you keep in that tank?

jennigypsy
08-25-2004, 01:22 PM
500 gallon...<drool drool>

Rex Karr
08-25-2004, 03:16 PM
Currently I have these fish in my 500g

8 Labiatus (Red Devil)
1 Citrinellus (Midas)
1 Nicaraguense
1 Bifasciatus
1 Maculicauda
1 Fenestrata
1 Synspila
1 Buttikoferi
2 Urophthalmus

1 Red Belly Pacu (22"+)
2 Lima Shovelnose
1 Redhook Silverdollar

thirty2cent
08-25-2004, 04:55 PM
man-post some pics!!!!!!!

Seedy
08-25-2004, 05:02 PM
:rolleyes: yeah...post some pics...even I want to see those....

Rudy
08-25-2004, 05:40 PM
Come on Rex. Didn't you just get a new digital camera?

We want the goods man!

cichgirl
08-26-2004, 06:03 AM
Come on, give it up, Rex! I always wanted a tank that I could jump into and take pics with an underwater camera! lol I wanna see the tank!!!

Chet
08-26-2004, 07:57 AM
Gotta join in here...

Rex, you've got to post some pics for us! I've seen some of your fish but I definitely want to see more. Your collection is awesome!

Rex Karr
08-26-2004, 03:40 PM
I have to mow right now, but when I'm done I'll do a water change and take some new pics. Unfortunately its rather bare right now (from decoration) because I am in the process of removing all the old decorations and changing the gravel to black sand and putting in a huge stump/root system that I found at the lake. So far I have just removed the wood and smaller rocks. There must be 500 lbs of stones in there.

rsabatini
08-26-2004, 04:24 PM
I like all cichlids from nonaggressive to Hyperaggessive from central,south,north america to african rift lakes/riverin even the asian chromide cichlid variety,I've owned a huge variety of cichlids from all over the world over the years and I think they all have personallity(some more than others actually)From the egglayers to the mouthbrooders they all are very interesting and exciting fish to keep in my opinion.I'm currently mixing african malawi mbuna and haps with 2 central american cichlids(dempsey,urophthalmus)and 1 south american(Green terror)It's been 3 months since I've started this evolution all good with minimal aggression,as of next week my uro will be transfered to a 90gl along with a few more uro juvies and try to get a pair out of it.This hobby really does get the best of me at times,LOL.

Rex Karr
08-26-2004, 09:39 PM
Well, the camera will only upload to the computer that is currently having internet problems. Don't worry, your not missing out on the much.

I did get some good pics of Bleekeri, Tamosopoenis, Nourissati, and Regani from other tanks though.

Give me until the middle of next week and I'll have the tank cleaned and the driftwood in. Then I'll get a feeding video and post the pictures I took tonight.

thirty2cent
08-27-2004, 10:40 PM
Oooooooooooohhhh,I want to see the feeding video!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just40Fun
02-14-2006, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by punkypuffer
today i took all the africans from my tanks back to the store.....

a big 7inch frontosa, some other tangs, 4 tropheus, and a few malawi's.

i swear, every time i get africans i keep them for like 3 months and get bored with them and i convert the tank to american.... i'm stocking the african tank with some central and south youngins that are outgrowing the tank they are in

anyone else ever get like this? i just can't stay satisfied with the darn africans!

I mix mine, I have frontosas, yellow labs, green terror and blood parrots in the same tank.

The green terror loves to bully the fronts :)

autoxevo
03-08-2006, 08:21 PM
I used to keep africans, got out of the hobby, got back in with the intent of some serious african collecting (rare and wild species) but I bought a pair of convicts to kinda ease myself back into the routine.....this has since turned into the original pair (my male is the most gorgeous con i've seen yet) a pair I call the "Commies" (they're pinko's lol) a pair of Nicaraguense, a firemouth, a pair of rainbows, a pair of angles, a trio of apisto gibbiceps and a single apisto aggassizzi....and now I'm waiting in line for a pair of HRP's, Brasils, looking for Keyholes and now I'm even getting interested in gymno and neophagus......so much for some serious african collecting lol

bigbear
03-13-2006, 10:17 AM
just did the same thing for my 90g. was stcoked with africans and got bored of them and ended up getting little ca guys.

ocdreamin
06-01-2006, 11:13 PM
rsabatini/just40fun:
How do you mix such species? What are your water paramaters and how do you acclimate for water and socialability?

balton777
06-05-2006, 09:28 AM
500 gal. is a BAD ASS aquarium. To Pinky Puffers original post, I did the same thing with my Africans. When I started with cichlids, I didn't know any better. After research and lots of observation, I found Americans to be MUCH more interesting. Adios Africans.