PDA

View Full Version : tank size for my 3 inch red devil

red devil _ orgnl
08-14-2004, 02:32 AM
hi im new to this site and sorry if i posted this in the wrong forum i dont know if a red devil is an american or african watever sorry ahaha . well hes 3 inces , yellow with red gills and hes in a 10 gallon tank will he be okay in there? i change the 40% of his water every 2 days will he grow to be healty and okay ?

thank you :D:ok:

Ash
08-14-2004, 03:01 AM
he will outgrow that tank in not much time at all, mine went from 3" to nearly 6" in less than 2 months!!

Ideally RD's are a 65+gal tank minimum (they get over a foot long so they should really get a 4'x18"x18" at least, mine are in a 4'x2'x2')

They are central american so neutral/slightly alkaline water, in such a tiny tank you would probably need to do heaps of water changes though 40% every 2 days is a bit extreme (unless you have ammonia troubles)

I hope you have a bigger tank planned very soon, otherwise you should probably take him back :(

Alv
08-14-2004, 06:07 AM
I bought some about 5 weeks ago i think. I just got rid of them but they grow really fast. They both got to about 3" from 1.5" in the time i had them and couldn't even share a 55g tank.
I would say they are very aggressive fish aswell!

salty
08-24-2004, 08:43 AM
I wouldn't do it, 10 is just to small for a red devil, maybe 30 you could get away with for a 3" rd, someone once told me 10 g. per inch of aggressive, big fish, rd get like 10", so like a hundred g. in the long run would be perfect,get a couple cons watch em breed.-salty

Jaws
09-02-2004, 01:49 PM
I would advise you to bring it back to the fish store and demand a refund. A 75g tank is needed for just one fish. Its not your fault. They should have told you its going to get way too big for that size tank.

Next time do a little research on the fish you plan to get. It seems most stores just want to make sales. Good luck with your new choice!