PDA

View Full Version : please help me with my water issue!

chbak014
01-01-2003, 09:25 PM
i used proper pH by aquapharm, clouded the water, but brought the pH down. when it made the cloudy water, it also made a slimy film all over the tank and on the heater. cleaned the film out, and the pH went back up, but the water cleared up. FOOIE!!!! i don't want to use this stuff anymore. i guess the film from the proper pH occured because the water is too hard. some chemical bond makes the proper pH into slime when the water is too hard. also, apparently i can't plant live plants in the tank if i use proper pH, but i want to plant live plants. soo...what companies make good pH downers that brings down pH, doesn't make the water cloudy, and still lets me able to have live plants?
please help me out here, i know there are a bunch of other companies that make pH downers, but i would like to know which one would fulfill my needs above.
thanks
-charley
oh the pH was at 7.2 then shot up to like mid 8's and temp was btwn 78-79

Chet
01-04-2003, 11:24 AM
Why are you trying to bring you pH down? What is the pH of your tap water? I don't know anyone who's had good, consistent luck with any of the pH lowering chemicals. There are other ways of achieving a lower pH, but it is generally cheaper and easier to not mess with it unless you absolutely have to. What species of fish are you planning on keeping, and what plants do you want to have?

jonah
01-04-2003, 11:29 AM
CO2 injection will bring down pH.

chbak014
01-04-2003, 02:19 PM
okay, so CO2 brings down pH. that means, if i want to bring it back up, in case i bring it down too low by putting CO2, can i just put in more basic water to bring it back up?

fish-eyed-fool
01-04-2003, 04:34 PM
[quote:8d41337fd7="jonah"]CO2 injection will bring down pH.[/quote:8d41337fd7]

So will not changing the water for several weeks and over-feeding. :)