PDA

View Full Version : 15 gallon/suitable for dwarf species?

cich1
07-31-2004, 05:36 PM
hey all just wondering if i could keep any cichlids in a 15 for life,i've got an extra tank laying around.the footprint is 24 inches by 12 inches.:confused: thanks in advance:D

jonah
07-31-2004, 06:49 PM
Apistos and rams are the most likely possibilities, or one of the "krib" type West African cichlids. A pair of "kribs" would be hit or miss in a small tank like that. A pair of rams or Apistos would probably be better.

cich1
07-31-2004, 07:26 PM
thanks for the reply jonah.i was thinking either a pair of cockatoo dwarfs(apistogramma cacatuoides)or a pair of agassizii dwarf cichlids( apistogramma agassizii)what do you think will it work? how readily available are these 2 species?

jonah
07-31-2004, 08:08 PM
I think either pair will work, but you'll want to have plenty of cover in the tank like plants and driftwood so the female can hide from the male. Maybe some dithers like small tetras would help. I'd probably get cacautoides if it were me. Some of my friends are into Apistos and that seems to be the easiest to keep.

Availability will depend on where you're located. I don't know any stores here that normally carry either of them, but there's a store about an hour East of here that carries Apistos.

cich1
07-31-2004, 08:44 PM
thanks again for the info.i was leaning more towards the cacatuoides.i'm gonna go out tomorrow and see what my lfs's have in stock(just to research availability).black skirt tetras,neon tetras?one more question, i've been reading that it is best to have them in a planted tank is this true?i've never kept aquarium plants before so i wouldn't know where to begin with that.

cich1
07-31-2004, 10:25 PM
i was doing some research and some people suggest to keep them in harems.maybe i could move my male con into the 15 and get 1 male and 2or3 females to put in my 30 with the rainbow cichlid? let the cichlid juggling act begin:lol: :nervous:

cich1
08-01-2004, 12:56 PM
anyone else want to chime in with some advice?

jonah
08-01-2004, 01:07 PM
The guys I know who did keep cacautoides all keep planted tanks. I think some of them kept harems and some of them just kept pairs, I'm not sure how big a deal that is. I'd just get some java fern attached to a piece of driftwood and some java moss too. Both are easy to keep and aren't real demanding on light, plus you won't have to do anything special with the substrate with them. The fish will need some kind of cave for spawning too.

cich1
08-07-2004, 09:29 PM
well i went out and bought some plants today(new territory for me)i got corkscrew vallisneria,an amazon sword,and some java moss.also got a coralife nutra grow light,and some flourite.i'm gonna give the plants some time to establish themselves then start looking for some cockatoos,yeah!!:D