PDA

View Full Version : bass and bluegill

seered247
07-29-2004, 07:51 PM
caught some bluegill and a large mouth bass the other day from a resivoir by my house and though it would be fun to have them. I have heard they are illegal to keep. Is this true and if so whats the reason for it? also was wondering if i could put in some crayfish, the bass is really messy with his goldfish snacks:twisted: . need a bit of a cleanup crew. These fish are really hardy though and another plus is i used the hose to fill their tank because they are already used to the water.

Tobeannounced
07-29-2004, 08:27 PM
How big is the tank?
And what state do you reside as laws can very from state to state

seveland
07-29-2004, 09:01 PM
bass eat crayfish.

SuperDave9x19
07-30-2004, 10:05 AM
Bluegills are nice tank inhabitants. Never kept a bass tho. How big are these babies and in what kinda tank?

Just curious is all. I don't have anything useful to add.

Chet
07-30-2004, 11:22 AM
Laws regarding the keeping of gamefish do vary state to state. You should check with your fish & game department. Your bass will eat you crawfish if it gets the opportunity. Actually, it will eat your bluegills too...

seered247
07-31-2004, 02:21 AM
hmmm interesting. well i live in california where im sure if you've done it there is a law against it. lol anyways they are all very small the bluegill are much bigger than the bass about 5 in compared to the 2 in bass. also thay reside in a 55gl with a fluval 404 and 3 powerheads. im thinking of trying for some more bass but am checking with the local authorities before hand. anybody else kept illegal species? dont worry i wont tell.

Mer
08-02-2004, 07:51 PM
I've had:

Gills
Sunfish
Perch
Largemouth Bass
N. Pike
Bullhead

Fun to keep, but hard to get them eating anything that doesnt swim in my experience. In my state its legal to keep them at certain sizes and depends on the species, but also depends on where you get them from. Pulling them from a private pond is probably fine in any state, pulling them from public water is a different story. In general, the gills are probably legal from the resevoir because most states dont have limits on panfish. The bass may be illegal though. Dont try to keep pike... eat too much and grow to fast. Perch seem to go belly-up easy, probably because they reside in deep, cold water thats tough to replicate with spending some $

Oh, and even the gill will eat that crawfish... leg by leg if he has to.

Rex Karr
08-02-2004, 10:11 PM
I don't want to encourage illegal activities, but in Cali the vast majority of tropical fish are illegal, including many cichlids, characins, catfish, etc.

To the best of my knowledge, most California fish keepers just ignore the stupid laws and keep the fish they like.

Keeping native gamefish in an aquarium is probably a different matter though. It may be a federal law. I know that it is legal to keep Bass in most states (as you can buy them by the hundreds from hatcheries) but probably illegal to keep wild fish under the size limit.

jimez
08-05-2004, 05:54 PM
Just to add my two cents, As far as I know it is a Fedral law that is dictated by the states as to how they are to handle it. Here it is illegal to keep any type of wild game fish in a home aquarium unless you have a receipt from a fish store that is licensed to sell them. Also illegal to keep game fish in outdoor ponds unless you have a hatchery license. But, the only way that any of that can be proven is if you allow the Natural resources dept into your home and they see it or a "friend" lets them know about it.

rsabatini
08-05-2004, 06:44 PM
you got these fish in a 55gl,your thinking about getting more bass,and you want crayfish as a cleanup crew,first off whether there illegal or not i'm not sure,but by what you've been saying your planning on doing in this 55gl you own,do some research brother,Freshwater bass(small mouth & large mouth) down in the southern US I heard they get HUGE 25-30 inches in total length wieghing anywhere from ounces as juvies to 15 lbs adults EXTREMELEY CARNIVOROUS,blue gill (most pan fish in general)range in size anywhere from 8-12 inches in total lenth,both bluegill and bass eat crayfish and I have caught many bass with juvie bluegill as the bait.IMO it's a really bad mix your planning in a really small tank,another quick fact-fresh water bass are also cannibalistic to there own kind,take in consideration the size factor,Good luck brother cause if you plan on going through with this you will need it.take care

cich1
08-08-2004, 01:38 AM
hey seered247,if it was me i think i'd get rid of the bass and just keep a couple of bluegill myself.i've never tried keeping native species but when i was in highschool i had some friends who tried unsuccessfully.they ended up with broken tanks, lots of dead fish, or suicidal jumpers.

seered247
08-08-2004, 07:57 PM
Yea i was thinkin the tank was a bit small, so here is what i did. All fish and crustacians have been returned to were they were caught and my small female GT is hanging out in the 55. Yes, i already know this is too small for a GT but she wasnt happy in my 29gl. so until she is big enough to go in my 220 she will grow out in my 55. she seems quite happy in there with a common pleco and also 3 silver dollars that im going to also grow out for my 220. thanks for the help everybody. also rsabatini 15 is huge for a large mouth bass i wanna catch one that big just once lol

cich1
08-08-2004, 09:40 PM
hey seered247 from what i've heard the females "usually"max out around 10" so i think your gt would be fine in that tank.

seered247
08-09-2004, 03:29 AM
that is good news to hear because I have been dreading the day that I would have to toss cleo (my GT) in with Biff (my festae) I was kinda hoping that my GT would be able to stay in my 55. anybody else think it is a bad idea for cleo to live out her full life in a 55gl with a magnum 350 and 2 powerheads? her tankmates are a large pictus cat, 4 clown loaches, green phantom pleco, and robert the salvini.

bevoman
08-09-2004, 06:28 AM
She'll do ok. A 75 would be better, but 55 ought to work.

Rex Karr
08-10-2004, 11:13 AM
*sigh*

Don't you know not to release aquarium fish into the wild? Those fish could have picked up foreign parasites or diseases in your tank. Just be sure not to release any more fish back into the wild unless you keep them in a sterilized tank and only with other native fish.

z rock
08-10-2004, 12:39 PM
Here in Texas I've heard of game wardens raiding peoples houses and treating them worse than a drug dealer for keeping illegal game fish.

I've seen people get on forums and brag about having piranha's in Texas. Then ask me if I want to buy some. Probably some kinda reverse sting operation or something.

They had a 10" bass down at the LFS once for a few days. One of the more aggressive and interactive fish I've seen anywhere. Not scared at all. I don't know what ever happened to it.

Yea,it's best to destroy a fish before releasing it back to the wild.

seered247
08-10-2004, 05:35 PM
hmmmm i didnt think about the parasite in the tank before i released them into the wild. really wish i would have thought of that before. now i feel bad. :( i figured it was ok because they were wild caught fish. sorry guys didnt mean to upset anybody.

Rex Karr
08-13-2004, 08:10 AM
I understand what you was thinking. There was probably no harm done. Its just that the posibility is there. Good luck your fish.