PDA

View Full Version : Need some advice

Alan
12-31-2002, 12:25 AM
Back in the fish thing after a 20 year lay-off. Here's my problem, friend asked me to take his tank and fish off his hands, no problem, until I find out the tank is 20 gallon with a Severum, Dempsey and a new red Pacu, obviously were gonna need a bigger tank. I have room for a tank between 50-75 gallons, but if I make the investment and after reading tons of material on the matter, I'm totally confused about the compability of these fish over the long haul and what other fish could eventually be added to this group.
:) Thanks for any help and idea's you have.

jonah
12-31-2002, 05:26 AM
75g should be good for the Jack and severum, the pacu will get too big. :(

Poet8102
01-02-2003, 09:44 AM
ummm, just how big do pacu's get?

Alan
01-02-2003, 05:54 PM
It looks like it's gonna get real big, the one I have has doubled it's size in a month. I'm still wondering what other fish can live with the Dempsey since I hear they can get real nasty. Presently the Severum is larger then the JD and he leaves him alone, put when it's time to eat he gives the Pacu a run for his money.

jonah
01-02-2003, 06:20 PM
Minimum size for an adult pacu is at least 18" and likely over 2 feet. They also have a deep body. I thought about getting one for one of my 125g's as a single specimen tank, but it looked like it would get too big.

I think there's a 120g tall tank that has the same footprint of a 75g, 4 feet long. Bigger is better with most ciclids.