PDA

View Full Version : 55gl tank

oscar_pack
07-24-2004, 11:20 PM
ok, so for my b-day (28th of july) my parents were gonna get me a 55gl long for my room. now my dad thinks cichlids is a "passing phase".lol. anyways he said we'll wait a few weeks, and see how everything works out (if im still interested :rolleyes: ), then my parents will get me the tank. so in the meantime i want to know what you guys think of what im planning... im gonna use pool filter sand for substrate, im kind of debating on a planted tank, or just a few big rock piles, SUGGESTIONS??, im definately going with sa/ca cichlids, im thinking maybe gt, rd/midas, jag, for a solitary tank, or im going to do a mix tank of fish that wont kill eachother, once again SUGGESTIONS?? maybe a chocolate, some type of severum, firemouth, are just a few i have my eye on... so i want to know what you think of this, and what you would suggest. thanks.:D

thirty2cent
07-25-2004, 10:54 AM
For a 55g a jag, rd, and gt is too samll for them. It will work foor a while but you will have to buy a bigger tank. Gts are more docile than aggressive like the jag and rd, so that might not even work wit the fish that you have chosen.

But maybe some firmouths or cons would work wit a chocolate(not really to sure about a chocolate cichlid-they get big and are pretty peaceful) or a severum maybe 2 if your lucky. But you still might have to buy a bigger tank if it doesn't work out. What are the dimensions of 55g long tank?

seered247
07-25-2004, 12:10 PM
Well it seems you might have a tuff time getting your parents to let you purchase a larger tank in the future. So it might be a good idea to have fish that can stay in the 55 long for their entire life. If you truly want a planted tank you could try a nice colony of rams or maybe some apistos.

Heyguy74
07-25-2004, 12:41 PM
What size tank are your other fish in? Your sig says you have an oscar, an acara, bloodparrot and a convict. To be honest planted tanks can be a pain to get started properly. Of course this depends on the plants you want. It can get pretty expensize as well. Its up to you. If you do decide on a planted tank, you can try some angels in there. They look good swimming amoung the plants. Def wouldn't add fish that will get too big. They can out grow a 55 gallon in no time. Good luck and let us know what you decide.

bauer23169
07-25-2004, 08:24 PM
if you get a convict pair in a 55 they will own the whole thing, convicts and firemouths are good together and they reach max size of about 5-6" a salvini might be nice in there also. all three will eat your plants. plus all three are fairly inexpensive fish to start with. juvenile convicts are about $2-3, firmouths $2-4 and a salvini about $6. if you can find them or are willing to order online do a search for honduras red point. its a blue and red convict like fish, very good looking and all of those fish are fairly easy to tend to compared to others.

oscar_pack
07-25-2004, 09:41 PM
there all in a 45 so you can see why i want another tank, i thought about it, and im not gonna get more fish, probably just move 2 to the 55, and leave 2 in the 45. but if i was to get another fish i would probably get a single rd or a single gt. then put my small con in there with small hiding places just for her.

Heyguy74
07-26-2004, 09:03 AM
Thats a good idea to give them more room. You should try to get some catfish or a pleco for those tanks. Eventually you'll have to get a bigger tank.

bauer23169
07-26-2004, 10:10 AM
that oscar is gonna outgrow that 45 or even 55 in the matter of months, mine went from 3" to 9" in 6 months. if you are not too attached to the oscar i would trade him in now. any person here with oscars will tell you they are 3x the work of any other fish. they are extremely messy eaters and you need tons of filtration and more frequent water changes, and it's extremely tough to keep the water clear because of the food they expel while they eat. if you had to get a RD or a GT i would go with the GT, better temperment and a little smaller.

oscar_pack
07-26-2004, 10:42 AM
ok thanks guys for the responses.

bevoman
07-26-2004, 08:22 PM
Any way your parents would consider a 75 instead of a 55. This would make your choices a little easier, however, I agree with bauer that if you are not attached to the oscar, now would be a good time to trade it in.

oscar_pack
07-26-2004, 09:27 PM
from what ive heard 55gl is the min for oscars so why not in my instance??

thirty2cent
07-26-2004, 11:19 PM
really one oscar needs a tank of atleast 75g and a pair in 90g, some say 100g+. You won't be able to find another cichlid that will eat as much as an oscar, they get huge poopies. Ill be honest wit you my bros had 3 in a 55g since they were about 1" to 10", they grew to these lengths not even in a year, we had a very strong filter that was meant for a tank that was like 125g, and also had underground filtering, two died of hole in the head and we gave the other oscar to my lfs that brought him back to life, all levels were too high. This was about 10 years ago.

Lets just say you decide to do this, wit an oscar and you also use the other fish that you want to. This will work for a while, but then your goin to start noticing problems and won't be able to solve them.

A 55g tank is perfect for a community tank wit cons, firemouths etc, not oscars. You might be able to house one full grown oscar in a 55g, but it will be alot more work, than if you put the oscar in a 75g+ tank. IMO. Be sure to have very good filtration and fequent water changes.BUT NO OTHER FISH!

bevoman
07-27-2004, 05:52 AM
I agree.
The dimensions of the 55 will not allow a full grown Oscar to manuever comfortably. You get another 6" of depth with the 75 which helps tremendously with this problem. Also, with a 55, you would need to do 30 to 40 percent water changes about every other day to keep up with the bioload created by the adult Oscar. With a 75 you could do it twice a week. Some would say once a week on the 75 but with an Oscar, I would do it twice. A 55 would work for awhile, but you will eventually have some serious problems if you do not commit to doing a lot of work on the 55. (I still think it would be too small even with all the work).
Remember, just my opinion.

oscar_pack
07-27-2004, 12:25 PM
ya i see what ya mean, i think ill either get rid of him, or just have him in the 55, probably get rid of him, ok so time for suggestions. Say i do get rid of him, what cichlids would you recomend i put in it? im already putting one female convict and possibly either my blue acara, or my blood parrot, probably just one though.

Heyguy74
07-27-2004, 12:58 PM
You could just get a male convict after you get rid of the oscar. Leave the convicts in the 45 and put the blood parrot and acara in the 55. Realize that your convicts will most likely mate and give you tons of fry. You can use the fry as food for the other fish. This is up to you of course.

oscar_pack
07-27-2004, 03:26 PM
hmm thats a good idea, but im kinda looking more at honduran red points, or firemouths, if i got one of each of these would it all be cool in the tank?