PDA

View Full Version : 10 Gallon Tank

K-Holed
07-19-2004, 03:39 PM
Hi! I'm new to the forum but feel free to flame me once I've finished lol.

I've got a 13 gallon tank (uk) (around 16 gallon us)and I'd very much like to set it up as a SA biotope. I was thinking of having a sand substrate covered in leaf litter, some bogwood for places to hide and decoration. I would filter using an Ehiem ecco canister filter and I would like to keep the following

A small school of tetra's (or 2 depending on stocking lvls)
a few corries
and a pair of dwarf cichlids native to this area.

So I guess my 2 questions are, does this setup sound feesable and if so what cichlids would do well in this sort of arangement?

Thank you in advance

James

oscar_pack
07-19-2004, 04:04 PM
not sure about the tank size. maybe some small rams or some apisto's i think might do ok. what kind of cories? sounds ok i guess. but if i were you, and im not, i would go with at least a 30gl tank. best of luck, keep us posted.

jonah
07-19-2004, 04:17 PM
It sounds feasable to me, but I would probably leave the corys out. They might be in conflict with the cichlids at the lower level of your tank. My recommendation would be rams. They're usually more peaceful than most of the Apistos I've kept. Plants would be a good idea too. They help provide hiding places for the fish, which should help keep the peace.

K-Holed
07-19-2004, 04:58 PM
I did consider plants but they don't really fit with the biotope. most plants are killed by the low PH in the black water regions.

Heyguy74
07-20-2004, 09:29 AM
I did consider plants but they don't really fit with the biotope. most plants are killed by the low PH in the black water regions.

Why do you say that. I have plenty of plants in my SA tank. The PH is about 6.2 and KH is about 3 deg. As long as you provide good light you won't have any problems. You can add peat moss to your filter to keep the water soft. They do sell granulated peat.

oscar_pack
07-20-2004, 10:25 AM
i think he means the setting hes trying to make is a dark black water area, therefor no plants. it could be cool.

K-Holed
07-20-2004, 12:04 PM
Yeah when I said I wasn't going to have plants, it wasn't because I couldn't physically have them in there, just that it wouldn't be in keeping with the natural environment I am trying to recreate.

I've just been looking at some appistos and some rams today ... I think i'm in love!

NEO_72
07-20-2004, 12:21 PM
I would second the cory veto. Definite conflict of interests ;)

punkypuffer
07-20-2004, 01:38 PM
i wouldn't put a pair of rams and a pair of apistos in there... that's not enough room for both... i would choose one or the other... i would go for apistos... they aren't as common, so not as many people have them

K-Holed
07-21-2004, 10:07 AM
I was only going to have one or the other :) and yeah I think I'm edging towards the apistos.

oscar_pack
07-21-2004, 11:56 AM
good choice my friend:dance:

seered247
07-25-2004, 12:16 PM
Well congrats on the apistos. There are so many to choose from. Right now i have a handsome male double red and 3 females for him to hang out with. he seems very happy. (i wonder why)

jonah
07-25-2004, 03:54 PM
K-holed: check your pm's.

:)