PDA

View Full Version : another set up

chbak014
12-28-2002, 09:39 AM
alright, i didn't really like the blue gravel that was in my tank. it made the fish brighter looking, but i really want a more natural looking environment for them. anyways, since im changin the gravel and doin the whole cycle thing again, i was thinking of putting in an undergravel filter. in addition to the undergravel filter put in live plants. should i put an undergravel filter with live plants? what are the advantages/disadvantages of an undergravel filter? your 2 cents would be appreciated.
thanks
-charley

Rex Karr
12-28-2002, 11:52 AM
Undergravel filters are very inaffective to begin with. But in a cichlid tank they are useless. If you want another filter go with an Aquaclear or something. Also, I've found sand to be an excellent substrate. You might want to check it out. And if you want plants, try Java moss, and Java ferns tied to drift wood (they will soon attach themselves to it).

chbak014
12-28-2002, 03:33 PM
thanks for the info, is there anything else i need to put in the sand? i've been reading about clay gravel? cuz i want to put plants into the gravel and stuff like that. i wanted to put anubis plants in the gravel. put i dunno if i could just put them in the gravel.

Rex Karr
12-28-2002, 08:20 PM
Anubius, would also do best in a cichlid tank if attached to a piece of wood. The cichlids will be digging them up otherwise.