PDA

View Full Version : Could these fit in a 125gal?

RedParrotBubbles85
07-13-2004, 04:34 PM
Once i save up enough money to get a 125 gallon tank i am thinking of putting my 4 severums and my 2 oscars into it. Do you think that this could work. the only real bad thing is that i think the oscars are a pair and are starting to show breeding signs in my WAY overstocked 55 gallon. just askin if this could work cus everyone is getting big and the 55 cant handle them (actually i cant too much poop for me).thanks.

Alv
07-13-2004, 05:10 PM
Not all of them could fit you definately need the oscars to move into your new 125g.
As you have that 55g keep 2 severums in there and the other 2 could go in your 125 along with the oscar. Aslong as you get the filtration right you should be alright.

bevoman
07-13-2004, 05:22 PM
I agree with Alv. Just be sure to do frequent water changes as Oscars are filthy fish.

RedParrotBubbles85
07-14-2004, 08:21 AM
No but those are not my only fish in my 55 i am amazingly overstocked.heres a list
2 blue acaras
2 convicts
2 jack dempseys
1 firemouth
4 severums
2 oscars
1 pleco
1 shark thing
5 blood parrots
I think that is all of them. i wanted to get the 55 b/c the largest fishes are the oscars and severums so i wouls put them in the 125 and then i would try to get another 55 under the 125 (metal stands) and a 40 under the 55 to split the fish up. sorry its very confusing but i am asking if the 2 oscars and the 4 severums could live in the 125 peacefully. none of my fish are even close to fullgrown but the largest of the are the oscars and severums.

cichgirl
07-14-2004, 08:45 AM
You can try it, but if anyone decides to breed you could have some problems. You'll still be overstocked at adult size, but it will alleviate some of the tension for now.

Methuse
07-16-2004, 11:52 PM
That's an incredible load of fish in the 55gallon tank. Do you have pictures with this crew at feeding time? I'd love to see it. I would agree with your assessment of it being overstocked, at least evetually. Who knows maybe all these fish you've quoted are all 1" fry. I've got the following in a 180gallon tank and it already is starting to look a little croweded to me.

2 * 10" Oscars
1 * 6" Green Severum
1 * 4" Red Devil
1 * 4" Flowerhorn
1 * 3" Dempsey
4 * 4" Silver Dollars
1 * 12" Sailfin Pleco
1 * 3" Algae Eater

I'm thinking I may have to fill back up the 60gallon in the garage. :lol:

crazyfishlady
07-17-2004, 10:48 AM
You will most likely need to either save until you can get a 150 - 180 or larger. Or start trading in some of your fish for credit. Otherwise you are going to need a 3rd large tank. Each of those five parrots is going to grow, slowly, to up to approx. 10" and what do you plan to do with the JD's?
I'm sorry if I seem harsh, but even though the Oscars & severums are biggist, you need to think beyond next month or whatever, The rest of your fish are going to either grow or die, so if you can't afford to house them in the long term you need to sell some of them.
Best of luck to you. It's impossible to convey tone in writing, but I'm really not trying to be mean. I just think you should think about the big picture before you spend the money that you've worked so hard to save.

Methuse
07-17-2004, 11:06 AM
For the most part I agree with CrazyFishLady. That's obviously one of the hardest things I've had to come to grips with myself is, stocking the tank. It's soooo hard not to buy all these beautifully cheap little CA/SA bastards and load your tank up with them, I know. It's hard to picture what most these guys will look like relative to ones tank size once full grown, bought as juvis it's easy to overstock. I've simply run out of space myself in our house for more tanks, I've now got them stacked in the garage. But really what joy is there is isolating these magnificent fish in a garage. I think the general consensus is still on the side of large tank, small fish.