PDA

View Full Version : got the cichlid thing started...

carpediembaby7
12-27-2002, 04:49 PM
Today I picked up my first cichlids. I got 3 firemouths at approximately 2 inches each, presumably 2 f and 1 m; 2 female (?) black convicts at under an inch each, plus 5 zebra danios that appear to have nothing going on inside their heads :shock: (they actually kind of look like that lol) Anyway, depending on how things go, I may trade in one of the firemouths if 2 of them form a pair bond. I only have a 29 gallon aquarium, but I think I would also like to try a pair of tricolor salvin's to add a little color into the mix. The only thing that was in the tank before today was a 5 or 6 inch pleco and 3 tiny little platy fry (whose demise I witnessed shortly after the cichlids' release into the tank) I also plan on getting a clown loach to get rid of a couple snails I have lurking in the tank. Anyone who has any advice as to my choices of fish or anything else relating to the new arrivals would be greatly appreciated, as these are my first cichlids.

Clean tanks and quiet filters to all, and to all a good night!

Rachel

Ross Quarles
12-27-2002, 06:57 PM
A way to tell if your convicts are male or female is that the female will have a little bit or orange on her belly. The males have a steeper forehead.

P.S. Your zebras probably won't last very long.

Rex Karr
12-27-2002, 09:58 PM
Well, salvini's are usually very very aggressive. So I wouldn't risk it. And you may have problems in the future with the Firemouths and Convicts. Both will get 4-5" and are usually quite aggressive. I wish you luck.

Rex