PDA

View Full Version : New additions: P. polleni!

Cypherman
12-27-2002, 12:36 AM
Finally got some! I'm so excited! I set up a 10 gal. tank in the fishroom at work just for the four 1.5 inch little guys (not their permanent home, of course lol) with a sand bottom. I'll be adding some plants and driftwood later on. My question is: What's the approx. growth rate and what's the best food for them? I plan on mixing up feeder guppies, frozen bloodworms, ghost shrimp and a pellet of some kind. PH will be approx. 7.0-7.2, and a temp. of 75 F. Anything I'm forgetting? Wish me luck :)

They're cute little guys; an unimpressive flesh-color, with a hint of grey striping and a black dot in the dorsal fin. I was somewhat worried about them b/c I hadnt had time to properly cycle the tank (runnin on an AC 150...Bit of an overkill, perhap, but they dont seem to mind the current) but they were taking frozen bloodworms within hours so they should be just fine.

Cypherman
12-27-2002, 09:17 PM
Got a photo of them looking scared :roll:

http://www.cichlidtank.com/uploads/photos/2263.jpg

They're not much to look at now, but I'm hoping someday they'll look like this:

http://www.cichlidforums.com/postimages/2002-12-27/5154-001.jpg

SGypsyMermaid
12-28-2002, 11:03 AM
good luck with them-- i don't know anything about the cichlids from madagascar. rudy's the only forum member that i can think of who has kept them. :D

Rudy
12-28-2002, 11:12 AM
Cypherman. Good work on the Polleni. The growth rate to tell you the truth is pretty good. Similar to most American cichlids. I fed my little bleekeri beefheart mixture to ensure they grew well. Now they are onto a seafood and spinach mixture. They also love pellets and are constanly begging for food. My large Bleekeri grow fast as well. My male has grown from 6 to 10 inches since I got him in the late summer. Female grows extremely slow and I have noticed little to no growth. They are much like and oscar in behavior. Big wusses to tell you the truth but beg for food constantly. The breeding is very difficult I have not successfully collected eggs yet. They eat them litterally as soon as they are laid. You almost have to quit work and watch them constantly. They are also ver hard on each other so if they pair off get the others out of the tank fast. You will love them.

By the way look at them in the evenings as they darken up quite a bit. They are cosntantly changing colors.