PDA

View Full Version : Surface Algae

Jharvey
07-10-2004, 04:11 PM
I am in the process of setting up a new tank. Its a 56 column. The tank is fully cycled, has a light bio-load, and seems to be doing well... except that algae seems to be growing on the surface of the water.

It is a very light, almost clear layer.

The ph is 6.8, and other parameteres are all normal. How can I get rid of this algae??

Thanks

oscar_pack
07-10-2004, 11:02 PM
well, you could try skimming along the top of the water. Then see if it growes back, if so then you may have a problem, maybe with the filter??

Jharvey
07-11-2004, 07:35 AM
Oscar,

Thanks. I did try skimming the surface. The algae grows the most where the surface agitation is the lightest, and gets very thick in still water.

I skimmed all of the algae off, did a big water change, and added another small PH aimed at the surface to provide more surface flow. It helped a little, but the algae is still growing.

oscar_pack
07-12-2004, 12:51 AM
well, before you placed all of your decorations, substrate and all that good stuff, did you wash it at least? what kinda filter are you running?

Jharvey
07-12-2004, 05:22 AM
Yes, everything was washed. The filter is a HOT Magnum Pro from Marineland.

Rudy
07-12-2004, 06:46 AM
The filter is a HOT Magnum Pro from Marineland.
So your spraybar is under the water?

thirty2cent
07-12-2004, 12:07 PM
This happened to me, the tank was a lil overstocked and my filter wasn't strong enough so had to go out and buy a stronger filter and within a few days the surface algae was gone.

Jharvey
07-12-2004, 09:10 PM
cent

I think you may be right. The documentation with my Magnum said 250 ghp, which turns the water over 5 times per hour, but I don't think it has been moving that much water, so I was thinking of adding more filtration.

I did add two Amazon Swords for nutrient export, and the water does seem to be a bit more clear.

I know the tank is not overstocked, but I may over feed, so I am going to slow the feeding down for a few days and see if that helps.

thirty2cent
07-12-2004, 11:20 PM
yeah add another filter, probably would be best- 2 filters workin together is better than one powerful one(dependin on the filter), I have two filters workin on both my tanks.

Rudy
07-13-2004, 06:20 AM
If your spray bar is under the water then the problem is most likely lack of surface agitation. You almost get a dead spot effect and a film forms on the top. Even when the spray bar is pointed at the top of the water there is not nearly as much oxygen circulating so you usually need some other sort of filtration for this purpose. thirty2cents suggestion of another filter is probably going to be your best bet. Something like an aquaclear would do perfect.

Jharvey
08-02-2004, 06:20 PM
All right, I have been researching and experimenting. Here is what I have found.

The phosphates in my tank were off the chart!

I tested the tank at 2.0 ppm +.

The first thing that I did was test the tap water that I have been using for my tank. It tested at 0.3 ppm.

So I added Phosguard to my canister. It helped a little, the water started to clear.

I also started using RO/DI water. I bout an RO unit, and when I moved my tank, I did a 99% water change. Interestingly enough, there was no algae because I cleaned the tank. I did not rinse the gravel, but vacummed it very well while draining. But there is still phosphate, 1.0 ppm. I know this is what is feeding the algae so I am going to use Phosguard adain.

I think the phoshates are being imported through my food, but I can't find any cichlid food with no phosphates.

Any ideas on what I should try?